Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 subaru loyale won't start

Thankyou I now know that the fuel pump is good. I hope that a new fuel filter some fresh gas plugs wires and rotor with cap should have it up and running. Do you know where the fuel filter is at and is it easy access and can I move to under the hood if it isn't?

Thanx Lee

Under the hood, between the drivers side shock tower and the windshield. easy as pie, its already in the PERFECT spot.

Dude C'mon.... Did you tune up the car yet? Never told us if it was running before, or if you just got it. Did you tow it home? Maybe you need more than 2 gallons in the tank... try 6 or 8 gallons. And swap that cap & rotor, a little damp morning killed mine. Popped a new cap on, BAM! I'm on my way to work.

Milemaker13 I am working on this as time and money permit. I have never worked on a subaru before. I am used to carbureted cars and small 2 cycle engines. I am learning a lot baout subaru's here. I know it ran before but the previous owner supposedly did a tune up. It does not look like he did one. Maybe he did as the air filter is brand new. I do not know a whole lot about fuel injection. The car is at a friends house and I can only work on it when I have spare money. Do you know what a g sensor is on a subaru? I seen it mentioned in the chilton repair manual but it does not say where or what cars it is on.

Thanx Lee

you know the three basics, fuel compression and spark. you know how engines work. you dont understand the fuel injection??? thats the easiest part. (some of us don't understand how you could get the carbs so well, but cant figure the simpler FI system.)

http://www.ch601.org/engines.htm go there, find the EA82 service manual, download AT LEAST part 2. Read chapter 2, section 7, until you start getting into troubleshooting procedures. THAT explains the FI perfectly.. the system is simply some sensors, and a computer, and an injector. The carb meteres air, and proportions the amount of fuel needed, all in hardware.. the COMPUTER monitors the engine/car (throttle position, air being taken in, vehicle speed, a couple other things) and tells the injector how much fuel to squirt in. thats the only difference; carbs work via airflow, venturi principle, and setting the sizes of various orifices.. FI just does it all in software. thats it.

Thanks Daeron for your reply. I just don't understand certain things yet. I am learning. I have already downloaded the fsm's. I have been around carburetors for a longtime. There not really that complicated unless either you are building a race car or running Holley 4 barrel carburetors and carbs can be cheaper sometimes. A lot of fuel injectors are expensive as well as the throttle bodies sometimes. I like carbureted cars because of the lack of the expensive computers and sensors. But I like the reliability of fuel injection. Wish me luck tomorrow on the subaru. Hopefully I have cheap transportation with a/c and I will post the results tomorrow. If anybody has any questions for suzuki samurais let me know.

Thanx Lee

Thanks Daeron for your reply. I just don't understand certain things yet. I am learning. I have already downloaded the fsm's. I have been around carburetors for a longtime. There not really that complicated unless either you are building a race car or running Holley 4 barrel carburetors and carbs can be cheaper sometimes. A lot of fuel injectors are expensive as well as the throttle bodies sometimes. I like carbureted cars because of the lack of the expensive computers and sensors. But I like the reliability of fuel injection. Wish me luck tomorrow on the subaru. Hopefully I have cheap transportation with a/c and I will post the results tomorrow. If anybody has any questions for suzuki samurais let me know.

Thanx Lee

I know that carbs arent REALLY that complicated.. but that doesn't change the fact that I lack the experience needed to really tune them properly. You need to *know* carburetors, beyond just understanding them. Once you understand Fuel Injection, there isnt much *knowing* to it... because its a computer. It operates on the simple parameters that the FSM outlines.. no more, no less.

Run you D-check test mode, and see what codes come up. Take those codes, go thru the book, and run the relevant tests. chances are you either find a bad component, or bad wiring. Wiring is the culprit more often than not.

to fix a vehicle with Carbs, you have to know the machine, feel the machine, be the machine... with FI its all just a numbers game. REALLY, its the difference between Analog Induction, and Digital Induction. Honestly, learning the difference between carbs and FI was what really made the difference between analog and digital click in my head. they DID make analog computers, back in the day... but the programming required was FAR too complex for the machinery in use at the time.

Thanks daeron for your replies. You just helped me understand fuel injection better. Like I posted earlier I will post my progress tomorrow and let you know if it runs.

Thanx Lee

AWESOME!! :headbang:

I made a difference, and stuff...

I am only too glad to help, I try to regurgitate the things that helped all this stuff "click" in my mind hoping it will do the same for someone else. When it does, it makes my day.