Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Attention 2003 Legacy owners

Guest fcy001

Engine knock/clatter when cold. Goes away as engine warms up. Colder = noisier. Really cold, really noisy. Dealer says due to 2003 engine design with "short-skirted pistons" which tilt up and down in cylinder through combustion cycle. Last work order notation: "Factory representative has accumulated the information he needs and will advise when a repair is available." I think this one is serious, folks. Nothing may happen within warranty. All hell could break loose after warranty. 2003 owners: listen for that knocking on cold startup. Must be on quiet street with windows up, fan low, engine under load (keep rpms low in high gear). It goes away as engine warms up. If you hear, let me know. We will need strength in numbers to get Subaru to fix.

Guest Suzam

Our 2001 OB Ltd Wagon has it, taps longer when outside temp is lower goes away as operating temp rises to normal. I belive the engine design is the same for these model years so I wonder if Subaru considers it for all the 2.5 SOHC engines from MY00 on?

Guest CROSSTBOLT

Let's see: leaking/blown head gaskets, piston slap/rattles, shuddering/studdering clutches....is there anything else that I have forgotten/have to look forward to?

Karl

Guest ferret

My 2002 Forester is my 5th Subaru since 1978. Last was a 1990 Legacy LS wagon. To date the noisiest engine was my 1985, especially when it was close to belt change time. Quietest was 1990 2.2.

My Forester is ALSO noisy when started cold (Northern NJ). While under warrenty the dealer replaced the timing belt tensioner.....No Help. Then they handed my a service bulletin. The same listed on End Wrench. With 48k driven to date, it has not shown to be a problem other than noisy at cold startup. But like you, I AM on record if it DOES develop into a problem at a later date. Endwrench link (requires Acrobat on your PC since it is a .pdf file)...www.endwrench.com/pdf/eng...nfoS01.pdf

Guest drOutback

our '00 Legacy has 168,000mi, and makes kind of a knocking sound when it starts up. it's not piston slap. im a mechanic and know what piston slap sounds like. the engine uses very little oil and has high mileage, so i don't worry about the problem. in the latest C&D a Subaru engineer mentioned that with the way the front crankshaft seal was desinged on '00-'03 engines, it allowed a little clearance to develop between the seal and crank that makes a little knocking sound when cold. they redesigned the seal on the 2.5 XT Forester engine.

Guest dwallbaum

Crossbolt;

Well. my cat. converter went out on my 2.2L Impreza at about 135K miles...Aside from a Ford Pinto, Ive never had a cat go out.. (on the Pinto, I did "performance testing" using a straight "test pipe" and this solved the problem nicely...). A 'test pipe" apparently is not available for the Subies....

Don