Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what gaskets will i need?

well it all depends on what you plan on doing to the heads. If you end up reusing the old heads if they're not FUBAR, then I'd get the head gaskets and new intake valve seals. If you plan on rebuilding a set of "new" heads for it, then you probably want to get the whole shibang. When I rebuilt my 1600 heads, I used new headgaskets and I installed new intake valve seals. I haven't fired it up yet but I hope it runs like a dream:D

the best deal that i know of is napa. head gaskets are about 26 bucks a piece.

do the valve seals if the heads are cooked.

but first, get a compression gauge and take a compression reading. this will tell a lot about what is going on before you take the heads off.

and if you know what to liik for after the heads are off, you can see why/where the gaskets failed. if some spots look cleaner than others on the head,deck, pistons, thst means you were burning coolant in that spot, the coolant burning will act like "steam cleaning" causing the carbon to come off, and appear cleaner than the rest