Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for tube buggy pictures with subbie running gear

Scott in Bellingham

Here is a guy local to me who builds them right out of old rusted subies.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/risingsuncar/rising_sun/Buggies.htm

His on AUSubaru by the name of steve_rising_sun.

He built a EA82t engine to run on LPG with a supercharger and put that in one of the buggies too. He said nothing else could beat it in the sand dunes, until he built a tube buggy from his rolled Bits-r-missin 3L Pajero.

Also I've seen a mid mount toyota 2L bolted to a 4sp D/R subie box running 4WD, the front diff was Subaru, but there was a really weird chain and sproket/front hub/axleshaft/propshaft setup that got drive to the front.. I can't find pics of it now :( But it was really interesting.. I have no idea why they didn't just use a EA or EJ in it, would of made it shorter by a fair bit.

It was red, if anyone knows where to get pics of it.

Scott, Im sure that this is not what your after. BUT since your looking down this path:confused: this gives me a chance to suggest and share an idea I had for a build way before I found usmb. Tube frames from www.berrienbuggy.com had the bottom sections tacked in a jig and you welded on your torsion housing,and the rest if the kit yourself.the warior 2 seat was $250+shipping, well made .cheap as heck. I could not even buy the tubing,let alone mandrel bend it all correctly,knotch it,for near that price. And by changing the top bars you could radically change the dorky look and interior room. stick your ea in the front cab forward it and wallaa.

Then as the owner of an argo 8x8 (a chain drive maze) I realized that gearing problems on a trail sube could easily be solved by 2/1 or 3/1 reduction by tig welding double 20 sprockets to the DOJ cups,chain drive to sprockets 3Xs reduced to the same attachment process thru bearing blocks to the axles (even had an external locker)and off to the wheels. simple external reduction. I had the specs drawn up at one time and tossed it. on the chain,double 20 is $8.50 per foot. and the sprockets are a bit more.I had it figured at about $200 total,including bearing blocks shafts and keys ect. and p.s.

at this point,if anyone is unfamilliar with just how strong chain drive can be? here is a little mind changer.go here http://www.chaindriverail.com/and click on vidios. its not the best sight for illistrating and showing their products.they wont show you detailed pics,because their ticked about people stealing their ideas.

Scott, Im sure that this is not what your after. BUT since your looking down this path:confused: this gives me a chance to suggest and share an idea I had for a build way before I found usmb. Tube frames from www.berrienbuggy.com had the bottom sections tacked in a jig and you welded on your torsion housing,and the rest if the kit yourself.the warior 2 seat was $250+shipping, well made .cheap as heck. http://www.chaindriverail.com/.

Phizinza Here is a guy local to me who builds them right out of old rusted subies.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/risin...un/Buggies.htm

His on AUSubaru by the name of steve_rising_sun.

thanks for the links, Im thinking legacy running gear with a D/R 4 seater

something simular to this

9463Steve_on_the_Beach.jpg

There were pics of a rockcrawling buggy around here somewhere running a 2.5 or something. I'll look for it. Also, up here in Reno a guy has a professional rockcrawler using a 2.5 that I could take some pics of.

EDIT: Killed 2 birds with 1 stone:

attachment.php?attachmentid=161155&stc=1&d=1102445802

I haven't seen this in person yet, but this is the one built by the guy who lives up here in Reno.

Scott,

That's a Rhinobuggy "Humbug". The same chassis as all the other Rhino kits, just a different look on the top side. I considered the Humbug because it was a 4 seater but I didn't want to pay to get the fiberglass front shipped up from AZ. I ended up stretching the Rhino "Bandit" into a 4 seater.

When you were talking sand, I thought you were looking for a dune buggy or sand rail type vehicle. The Rhinos are not really in that class due to gearing and other issues. I'd consider them more of a trail/beach buggy.

Good luck,

Glenn

There were pics of a rockcrawling buggy around here somewhere running a 2.5 or something. I'll look for it. Also, up here in Reno a guy has a professional rockcrawler using a 2.5 that I could take some pics of.

EDIT: Killed 2 birds with 1 stone:

attachment.php?attachmentid=161155&stc=1&d=1102445802

I haven't seen this in person yet, but this is the one built by the guy who lives up here in Reno.

linky no worky

Scott,

That's a Rhinobuggy "Humbug". The same chassis as all the other Rhino kits, just a different look on the top side. I considered the Humbug because it was a 4 seater but I didn't want to pay to get the fiberglass front shipped up from AZ. I ended up stretching the Rhino "Bandit" into a 4 seater.

When you were talking sand, I thought you were looking for a dune buggy or sand rail type vehicle. The Rhinos are not really in that class due to gearing and other issues. I'd consider them more of a trail/beach buggy.

Good luck,

Glenn

I live in the NW most of our driving is in the woods go to the sand on vacation

does anyone offer a offroad frame similar to these examples that a guy could buy and with a doner car build up a machine??

Scott,

Both the Humbug, like the one in the pic, and the Bandit like my vehicle are one donor car built machines. Neither one is going to be street legal in the US. Both are the same sub frame. The only difference is the top tubing/siding. Both are Rhino kits. The Humbug will end up weighing more because there is more body to it.

There are other companys that sell Subaru required kits. I think the Rhinos are probably the best design.

That particular Bandit is a four seater.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=438&cat=500&perpage=12&sort=3&ppuser=584

Glenn

Do you have to have a bike licence to ride ATV's on the road? Or just a car licence? Do you even get bike licences over there in the US?

Quads (as we call them here in Aus) are already stupidly dangerous. Riding them on the road is practically like praying for death to come to your door.

Edit: reply to post below to save off topic post to this thread.

I mean motorbike licence. You can ride 50cc and under on your car licence here, but anything bigger requires a whole training cource.

my plans are to take a Legacy and use all the important stuff and the firewall with the vin number , and build up my own vehicle with lights and all and use the legacy title if done properly you could get it inspected and be issued a new title and license for the road, like a old car hot rod or kit car people do it all the time :banana: