Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to fix/replace/remove the Hill Holder

As you can probably guess, my hill holder is leaking. ALOT. About a full resivor in a week or less if it's driven a bit. So I need to plug the hole. This is the rally car and not a daily driver so I'm not attached to the hill holder, but I wouldn't mind keeping it around either. What I really want is the cheapest, easiest way to plug the leak.

Are hill holders repairable? I found on thread where someone just replaced the O-rings. How difficult is that to do right?

If repairing isn't feasable, how much for a new (to me) one?

And the final option, if it's not repairable and several hundred for a replacement, How to take the whole darn thing out and still keep brakes on the right front wheel? It seems that the HH is the only thing powering that corner.

Oh, and this is for an 87 GL wagon.

...Are hill holders repairable? I found on thread where someone just replaced the O-rings. How difficult is that to do right?...

First: Welcome! :)

Yes, They´re Repairable... But I didn´t Repair anyone yet.

As Far As I Know, you can find the New Replacement kit at the Dealer, which is a Piston with the O-Rings... or Maybe you can find Just the O-Rings, I´m not Sure about...

is Hard To Tell how Difficult is to fix it ... I Suggest to Take it off, and Check... Maybe isn´t too hard, I think.

Good Luck! :burnout:

What I really want is the cheapest, easiest way to plug the leak.

These two things do not go hand in hand. "cheap" is often very difficult, substituting alot of work for no money. Easy just requires money to spend on parts, a mechanic, whatever. (really easy would be buy a new car)

What comes to mind in this case is just get a J-yard one. Your's is the first I've ever heard of failing. And unless it's leaking out of the fittings I can't even figure how fluid would get out of it. It's really a sealed unit. Is it leaking around the cable shaft?

Thank you Loyale! This isn't really my first post, but it's been about 6 months or so. I guess old posts get deleted on occasion?? Thanks for the dealer idea, I always for get about them on older cars like this. I wonder if they'd be afordable :lol:

I know you have to pay for easy and cheap is always hard, but I know how much effort I'm willing to put into it, and that's hard to explain, you know? Plus it never hurts to throw a probe out there and see what others have seen/dealt with. Maybe somebody found somthing that works wonders, or has rebuilt one in the past and can give me an idea of what it takes. I'm really just looking for an idea for what I'm getting into. I don't really have a dedicated workspace so I need to be able to move the car at the end of the day. That means I'm hesitent to start tearing into it unless I have a bit of confidence that I'm going to be able to get my brakes back.

The leak is on the top of the unit, behind/under the lever the clutch cable attaches to. I last looked at it this weekend and am ~1000 miles away from it for the next day or so. I'll let you know exactly where it's coming from once I'm home again ;) .