Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea 81 Catalytic converter

UGH! The brat didn't pass Cal smog today:dead: . It passed on co and hc, but failed on nox. The smog tech stopped the test, so it didn't actually fail. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on an aftermarket cat for the brat. I searched on google and many different cats came up with quite a difference in price. Any info is much appreciated!

On a positive note I did the rear disc conversion today! Thanks to those who have gone before and left instructions!

Are you sure its the cat? When was the last time the car had a tuneup. i dont remeber but does this thing have an o2 sensor on it?

Hit the cat with your hand and see if it rattles. Last time i had to buy a cat for an ea81 i got it through jcwhitney.

nipper

I tuned it up two days ago. Adjusted the valves, gapped the plugs which only had 2k miles on them and looked excellent, set the timing to 8*btdc. Dist cap, rotor, wires all have 2k miles. It idles solid as a rock at 700 rpm.

Starts up from cold very easily. Get almost 30mpg. Runs nice and cool. I'm new to subarus, but I think its running very well. The cat that is on there say subaru on it so I figure it is 24 years old.

I was wondering about the egr valve. Not really sure how to test it. I took the vacuum line off the egr and put a vac gauge on it. I was able to pull 7-8 in, with no load and reving the engine. I put the vac on the egr itself and I applied vac directly to the egr the engine wanted to stall out. I assume this means that the diaphram in there is working to some extent.

If anybody has any advice, I'm listening. I really dont want to shell out for a new cat if I dont have to. Thanks.

Daniel

Running lean would cause high NOx (but it would also cause excess HC) but you might want to check your EGR, that is one of the emissions systems that controls NOx emissions... did it fail the NOx emission @ idle or @ high speed?

Yes it only failed nox at both idle and high speed. Hc and co were both fine at low and high speed. I pulled the egr and it holds a vacuum. The vacuum signal going to the egr gets up to 8 in. You can stall the car at idle by opening the egr with your finger, so the passages should be clear. I did clean them as well. I ordered a new catalytic converter ($165).

I'm not sure how much vacuum the egr is supposed to have at various rpms, but when I had the egr off and put a vacuum of 7 in on it, it opened.

I'm considering lower heat range spark plugs with the new cat. I'll post my results. If all else fails I'm just going to have to do an EJ swap:banana: