Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do 15 inch rims fit newer OBWs?

I currently have a '98 OBW with 2 sets of 15 inch rims. I am considering buying a newer OBW from maybe 2002-2004, and I know these come with 16 inch rims. Since my extra set is for winter tires, I was wondering if I could hold onto them for the new Outback. I just don't know if they will clear the brakes and what-nots

I had a 97 OBW that I used 2 sets of 15 in. wheels on and they would not fit on my 02 OBW. They wouldn't clear the front calipers. I sold the one set through this forum and bought a new steel set of 16 inchers for the 02 OBW. I now have an 07 OBW and was happy to discover that the 16 inchers will fit and clear, even though the car came with 17 inchers.

The newer ones, 00 and up have bigger brakes, 16's are the smallest that will fit them. I think its the same sixe brake as the wrx, but I could be wrong.

Not all of them.

00-01 Outbacks have the smaller 10.7" discs that will fit under oem 15s. The Legacy 2.5GT Limited has 11.4" front discs that are the same as a WRX. In 02 all Legacy GTs got the bigger front brakes and I guess Outbacks may have as well. All 00-04 rear discs are 11.3" and I think fit under 15" wheels.