Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing Rear Speakers in '94 Loyale

I want to install speakers in the rear doors of my '94 Loyale. I pulled off the trim and I see cones for the speakers already stamped in the metal, which was great news to me. I haven't cut into the vapour barrier yet. Does anyone know if there is any factory wiring in there? There are wires in the factory wiring harness at the head unit. I'm wondering how far back the wires run and where they run to.

I just added rear speakers in my '02 Corolla sedan and when I pulled up the rear deck, there were cones stamped in the frame and the speaker wires were already factory installed. I'm wondering if the Subaru is the same.

BB

I want to install speakers in the rear doors of my '94 Loyale. I pulled off the trim and I see cones for the speakers already stamped in the metal, which was great news to me. I haven't cut into the vapour barrier yet. Does anyone know if there is any factory wiring in there? There are wires in the factory wiring harness at the head unit. I'm wondering how far back the wires run and where they run to.

I just added rear speakers in my '02 Corolla sedan and when I pulled up the rear deck, there were cones stamped in the frame and the speaker wires were already factory installed. I'm wondering if the Subaru is the same.

BB

Subaru used a common grounding speaker setup for it stock radios. Front and rear speakers Are wired to use a common ground. If there are wires there, you should know that to use them you must seperate the grounds. There are a few ways to do this. Some people wire seperate, new wires for the front speakers. You can tap them into the stock wires under the kick panels up front. Pink 2 pole connector, one at each door is for speakers.

However since you are trying to add rear speakers, you probably want to leave the fronts alone. If can reach up in the dash, and cut the tape away from the harness for stereo, you can seperate the grounds, and splice a new one for the rears at the head unit. There is a write-up in the USRM.

I added speakers to the rear doors on my 93 loyale and the wiring was already there. I'm sure that changing the ground would help, but I didn't bother. I think the wires ended with a white plastic connector and were tucked under a thin piece of foam near the speaker cones already through the vapor barrier. I can't remember the color of the wires, but I can check that out later today.

I added speakers to the rear doors on my 93 loyale and the wiring was already there. I'm sure that changing the ground would help, but I didn't bother.

If you are adding rear speakers using the existing stock stereo, you can just add the speakers. If you are using an aftermarket stereo, MUST run seperate ground wires to each speaker.

I'm not talking about the main ground for the stereo. I am talking about the negative wires to speakers.

Stock wiring has both left on one wire, both right on the other. You Must seperate the wiring or run a seperate set of wires to Front or Back. If you don't you will most likely fry your stereo.

Again there is an excellent write up:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50840

I've hooked up a Pioneer deck with stock wiring.. Mine's an '86 though. Stock speakers. I dont need loud music anyway.

I dont think new speakers would like the common ground system, but the deck doesnt seem to care.

Just my .02

Just because it hasn't caused a problem yet, doesn't mean it won't. You won't get appropriate fade control and you are torturing the diodes in the output channels. It doesn't affect the speakers as much as the deck. It's not good for them either.

Its easy enough to run new wire to the rear speakers anyhow.. and it isnt a volume/audiophile issue. It is a very real electronical issue which will hurt the deck.. you are tying too high a resistance load onto two channels. you wouldn't install speakers of the wrong impedance, would you? no, you would blow your amp. (amp, receiver, whatever amplifies your signal.

Four months of heavy/maximum use and no problems, and the fade works fine :confused: so does the balance... but believing you guys over my idiocy, I did this:

i just drove to santa monica (close to an hour round trip) blasting music...

came home, pulled out the radio... it IS hot as hell which i know for a fact isnt the deck... im running it right now on a PC power supply and four small computer speakers... not hot at all after 30 minutes of play.

I bought 100 feet of 14 gauge wire. (i am gonna install component speakers also while doing the wiring, which will be tomorrow)

So yea, even though it's possible, they're right, it'll mess with the deck. :-\