Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help revive my 81 Brat

I need some help. I have been having an on going problem with my brat. It started by the cars battery warning light coming on and then the tachometer went out. Then the car would dye unexpectedly and not start for like and hour or two. I replaced the ignition module and this solved all the problems and the car ran great for 6 months. Then the battery light came on again and the tachometer died and then with in a couple of days the car wouldnt start at all. Any ideas on whats going on with it?

I need some help. I have been having an on going problem with my brat. It started by the cars battery warning light coming on and then the tachometer went out. Then the car would dye unexpectedly and not start for like and hour or two. I replaced the ignition module and this solved all the problems and the car ran great for 6 months. Then the battery light came on again and the tachometer died and then with in a couple of days the car wouldnt start at all. Any ideas on whats going on with it?

The voltage regulator, or alternator is out. The voltage regulator supplies power to the fuel pump. Often this portion of the VR fails and you run into a no fuel situation. Additionally, if your altermator is out, you will not get power to the voltage regulator either and thus, no power to the fuel pump.

The design is this: Power from the alternator is needed in order for the VR to in turn start power delivery to the fuel pump. So a failed alternator=no power to VR=no power to the fuel pump.

Or: Alternator is good=power to VR, but VR has a failed fuel pump circuit=no power to the fuel pump.

Check alternator output. If good. Check to make sure fuel pump is working. If not, replace VR.

You also may have an intermittent VR failure.

Also, remember that fuel will evaporate from the carb if sitting a long time. You have NO fuel pump delivery until the engine starts. So you may have to prime the carb to get started. Just run a wure from battery + to fuel pump till it stops running.

just scored a solid state V/R off eBay for my '73

Hadn't seen one since the early 80's when we still had these cars on the road.

Not sure if there's one out there for the later 70's Subarus,but my guess is there are....somewhere.

Meanwhile,there's plenty of old "mechanical" V/R's out there.

Got a factory service manual yet?If not,score one of those too,immediately,and multi-meter.

Shipping is high on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-1600-1800-Factory-Service-Manual_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ119140QQitemZ160099116772QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

But maybe it's worth it to ask the seller if they'd ship using USPostal MediaMail for around $4 or less.

If you get a '77-78-79 manual it'll also have the same diagnostics for the '81 Brat,I'm pretty sure.

'77 :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-Subaru-1600-Original-Factory-Service-Manual-77_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ119140QQitemZ200072600699QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

You'll find then even cheaper if you wait.

Here's a list of V/R's on eBay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&mppfqy=Subaru+voltage+regulator&satitle=Subaru+voltage+regulator&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=06604&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

Check your connector-I'm pretty sure you have the round connector-and you should be all set.

Good luck.