Ultimate Subaru Message Board

starts but wont stay running?

I checked all of the vacuum lines and found nothing? I didn't see one hooked to the air box? Unless you are talking about the pcv system? It will start everytime but just shuts of like it's running out of fuel. I connected the white connectors and hear a clicking but the fuel pump doesn't cycle, So I ran 2 wires from the battery to the pump and same thing? I put a test light on the neg side of the coil and to ground and can see the pulses when the coil fires. So I have spark and fuel, What can it be?

Check the vacuum hose connected to the firewall side of the airfilter box. Disconnected? Loose?

Another thing to check is the ECU for codes. It sounds to me that the ECU is shutting down the fuel pump. If it is then you should see a code set.

You could try spraying a small amount of starter fluid into the intake when it starts to die and see if that helps keep it going. If it tries to keep running then it seems the pump is being shut down.

you said you connected the White connectors, and got some clicking? Don't you mean the green ones?

When you connect the green ones and turn the key on, the fuel pump will cycle on/off with the clicking under the hood. If the pump doesn't cycle, use your test light to check the voltage at the pump. If you have voltage, then it's probably a bad pump. You said you jumped 12v straight to the pump, and it still didn't work then?

-Dave

I think you guys might have something with the MAF Sensor. I forgot that I wanted to clean it and couldn't find any MAF cleaner, so I used windex. I figure it should be ok since it's mostly alcohol and not a harsh solvent:confused: . Anyhow, The ecu is just giving me 5 short flashes (I assume this is normal) and the fuel pump gets 12v when I turn the key on (Not sure when running) but I don't hear it cycling with either or both connectors plugged in, I just get the solenoids clicking under the hood. Is this normal? BTW, Thanks to everyone for the help and whoever posted the link to the "FULL" FSM PDF. I found a flowchart that walked me through the steps of diagnosing a no start (weak/sometimes no ignition pulse) problem that led me to replacing the ecu and now it kinda runs and my $300. beater is almost ready for the road.

Billy

so I used windex. I figure it should be ok since it's mostly alcohol and not a harsh solvent.The ecu is just giving me 5 short flashes (I assume this is normal) and the fuel pump gets 12v when I turn the key on (Not sure when running) but I don't hear it cycling with either or both connectors plugged in, I just get the solenoids clicking under the hood. Is this normal?

Windex is mostly water, not alcohol. Water bad. Get back in there with some electronic connector cleaner spray. 5 short flashes good, that's normal for your engine type. Solenoid clicking normal. Prime suspect remains MAF.

The five short flashes is normal and I think it states what kind of tranny is installed if I remember correctly. I also seem to remember something about that code related to the California emissions specs if the car was sold there.

Since it appears there are no fault codes that is good. I still recommend you try the starter fluid trick to see if just adding fuel will keep it running.

Another thing to look for is the ground to the fuel pump. There may be voltage getting to the pump but there may be no ground to it. Some models switch the ground to the pump through the ECU. Since you are not hearing the pump turn on with the test connectors tied together I think you have a problem there. Here is a test you can try to make sure the pump is getting connection as it should be. Try cranking the engine briefly and then turn the key to OFF. Then turn the key to the ON or RUN position. Do you hear the pump run briefly then? If so, the pump circuit is ok at least but it doesn't explain why the test connection doesn't appear to be working.