Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 intermittant wiper switches (Brat-specific)

Dropped into my local U-Pull-it yesterday looking for a few bits and noticed they had an 83 Leone sedan in the sale yard with a different intermittant wiper switch.

The DL-level US Brat's, as we know, didn't come with intermittant wipers, and the general upgrade is to take the complete switch (and intermittant relay) from a wagon - which has the rear wiper switch built in...and the rear wiper switch is pretty useless on a Brat unless you want to wire in a rear wiper on a canopy.

The 83 sedan, however, had in this case a off/int/lo/high switch without the rear wiper switch attachment.

I know for sure early sedan's and coupe's DON'T have intermittant wiper switches, and I don't believe the 83/84 coupe's were fitted with them either so it might be a sedan-only fitment (at least down under). EDITED 4/3 : 83+ coupe's have the intermittant also. I haven't found an '82 to check.

Hopefully this is of use to some out there looking for intermittant wipers on their Brat...

Dean.

>>US Brat's do have the intermittant wipers - GL's only of course. Did you mean to say that the "Brumby" doesn't have them?

No, the local "Brumby" was not fitted with them - in any option level as far as I know. I am 100% sure the early sedan's here didn't have them either, because I know the '81 I used as a console donor had an aftermarket unit fitted on the opposite side of the steering column to where the manual choke is fitted.

I recall asking about intermittant wipers on here at least 3-4 months back and a handful of US guys stated the Brat's didn't have it either - maybe they were referring to DL level only or had only seen DL level Brat's. Interesting the US market used something like intermittant wipers as a break-point between DL and GL...

Dean.

My GL Brat has them.

GL= T-Tops, d/r 4wd, Tach, Volt, Oil Pressure Gauges in cluster, optional a/c, intermitant wipers

Well - it's more complex than that. The automatics didn't have T-tops after 84 even in GL trim. Also AC could be installed in DL's as it was a dealer option as well as a factory option. D/R of course was only on GL manual's not on GL automatics.

But yes - ALL gen 2 (82+) GL Brats have intermittant wipers. All of the ones I've owned and driven had it.

GD