Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head gaskets replaced, what precautions before long vacation trip?

Having head gaskets and radiator replaced after head gasket failure and overheating problems. I will get the car back on Monday and about a week and a half later will be taking a 600 mile trip to the southern Missouri Ozarks for a week of canoeing. My 1999 Forester with 165,000 miles on it will be loaded down with a week’s camping gear and a canoe on top. Most of the miles will be Interstate with speeds of 70 to 80 mph.

Before leaving for the trip what paces should I put the newly repaired car through? The problems I am repairing expressed themselves after driving for about 20 minutes on the interstate at about 70 mph, then when stopping at a light on the off ramp the temp gauge shot into the red. It would then come back down to normal by the time I drove through the intersection. Eventually it would should into the red every 2 miles. That’s when I had it towed in for the repairs.

So, any advice on test driving it before my long trip and what to look out for would be appreciated.

A canoe on top? hrmmmm. You didnt say if this is a manual or an automatic. AT the very least i would service the tranny check the fluids and take the car on a long drive to make sure all is ok. I am mixed on a tranny cooler at this time. I am assuming (hint) your getting a new T stat and radiator cap too.

nipper

A canoe on top? hrmmmm. You didnt say if this is a manual or an automatic. AT the very least i would service the tranny check the fluids and take the car on a long drive to make sure all is ok. I am mixed on a tranny cooler at this time. I am assuming (hint) your getting a new T stat and radiator cap too.

nipper

Manual transmission. Yup, almost never go anywhere on weekends or vacation without a canoe. Best way to see the country since I've gotten too old in the knees and back for backpacking anymore.

You are brave, 600 miles 10 days after a head gasket replacement. I would make sure to drive that car every dave before you go to make sure the head gasket replacement works. I would have them replace any seals they see leaking while they have the engine apart.

Well, after driving through several start-get up to temp-cool down cycles, I would definitely check the coolant level in the overflow resevoir...if there was any trapped air in the system that works its way out after the initial fill, the coolant level can drop a fair bit. Top 'er up as needed. You don't want to be traveling at high speed with low coolant.

I agree with the other poster; use the car as much as possible prior to the trip, preferably some high-speed highway driving. Good luck!

Nathan

Having head gaskets and radiator replaced after head gasket failure and overheating problems. I will get the car back on Monday and about a week and a half later will be taking a 600 mile trip to the southern Missouri Ozarks for a week of canoeing. My 1999 Forester with 165,000 miles on it will be loaded down with a week’s camping gear and a canoe on top. Most of the miles will be Interstate with speeds of 70 to 80 mph.

Before leaving for the trip what paces should I put the newly repaired car through? The problems I am repairing expressed themselves after driving for about 20 minutes on the interstate at about 70 mph, then when stopping at a light on the off ramp the temp gauge shot into the red. It would then come back down to normal by the time I drove through the intersection. Eventually it would should into the red every 2 miles. That’s when I had it towed in for the repairs.

So, any advice on test driving it before my long trip and what to look out for would be appreciated.