Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Hardtop (2dr coupe) weatherstriping??

OK, so the '83 convertible has been in storage all winter and will soon be getting a rebuilt carb and new shocks to get on the road for the summer. The top has been restitched, and new tires will be added soon, too.. :burnout:

Trying to restore the vehicle to as close to original as possible - it was custom converted from a new '83 GL 2dr hardtop - but I'm running into some hurdles. To pass the safety check and get the car plated last fall the windshield had to be replaced (had a crack <sigh>), and the correct weather strip gasket was supposedly on backorder at my local Subaru dealer. I made do with a gasket I got mailorder from Precision Parts in Monroe, WA, but it doesn't fit the wide trim. This trim was original to the car and - in my opinion anyway - looked much better, so I'm now looking for a windshield gasket that will fit it (rather than the narrow trim). I'm not able to get one through the dealer as it's no longer available in Canada (I'm in Ottawa). Do any of you US or European folk know of a source?

I'm also looking to replace the weatherstrip on the quarter windows, both right and left sides, where they meet the doors when rolled up. Seems at some point someone had the bright idea of trimming off this rubber instead of adjusting the windows to fit (they were out of alignment after 23 years :-\.) So, again, if anyone knows of a source for NOS or decent replacement, I'd be greatful. The alternative is to get a hold of replacement quarter windows with the weatherstrip intact, but as there are precious few wreckers with old GL Coupes around up here, I'm at the mercy of you folks down south. Let me know if ya got anything that'd work.

--wd

I know theres a source around here for the WS gasket, just cant recall who right at the moment. As for the quarter window trim, look in the JC Whitney catalog. I found some in there that is as close as you can get. You need to remove the old rubber from the metal and get the new stuff in there tho (lots of soap).

I know theres a source around here for the WS gasket, just cant recall who right at the moment. As for the quarter window trim, look in the JC Whitney catalog. I found some in there that is as close as you can get. You need to remove the old rubber from the metal and get the new stuff in there tho (lots of soap).

Thanks for the advice for the quarter windows Turbone, I'll try pulling the remnants of the weatherstrip out of the channel on the windows and see how far I get. Let me know if you recall the location of the WS gasket.

Cheers!

--wd

Urg, that was about 7yrs ago:-\

I have a piece of the weatherstripping and can go to JCW website and match it again I guess.

I used to have a sample they sent with the part # on it but things get misplaced when you have to move a couple times.

Hey Andrew, that'd be great. I'm thinking that since I'm likely to have to take the windows off to get at the full trim ('cause the rubber's been sliced off right up to the trim), it might just be easier to replace the glass altogether. That, and it'd give me spare glass and stay original.. <G> Let me know how much you want for 'em (shipping, too), and I'll PayPal to ya.

Cheers!

--wd

Dave, if the replacement gasket isn't available for the quarter windows, or you'd rather stay original, I have a decent set (glass and trim) that you're welcome to.

• 2 months later...

OK, still looking for the windshield moulding/weatherstrip/gasket. Part number is 765061030. No luck at Precision Replacement Parts, though Tom Miller there was very helpful in researching (www.prp.com for anyone looking for the regular gasket that takes the embedded narrow chrome trim - Subaru part 765061000, PRP catalogue WCR417).

So, seems my options are:

1 - Find a wreck with an intact windshield gasket that can be removed without tearing/cracking (not an easy task, and there aren't any wreckers here in Ontario that still have early 80's Subarus in the yard); anyone had any luck doing this?

2 - Cross my fingers and hope that someone on the board is hoarding one they would be willing to part with (pleasepleaseplease), either NOS or used/reuseable; maybe one of you guys over in Europe/Australia might know of a dealer with NOS?

3 - try to find a custom rubber company that will do a small run at a reasonable rate and arrange a group buy (hard to believe I might be the only person looking for this!).

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with info on any of the above.

--wd