Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaky Windshield

So I figured out why my blinkers weren't blinking. Seems the flasher was filled up with water... leaking from the windshield. After changing to synthetic blinker fluid, the blinkers blink well. :grin:

Anyways, how does one fix a leaky windshield? Sounds like its a remove windshield and replace gasket kinda thing... Do companies like diamond autoglass do this for a reasonable price?

i would guess that eventually you will have to do what you just said, remove and replace. i tried sealing one up a hundred different ways and it never worked. liquid sealant, black sealant...a dozen different kinds, inside and out and it wouldn't work. you can try some of those methods first.

windhsield rust == bad.

My car, as rusty as it is, will one day go to the wreckers for one reason: one of these days, some innocent little rock is going to hit the WRONG spot on my windshield and it will spiderweb because its not supported adequately. When the rails holding the windshiled are not solid, the impact resistance is compromised.

My point is, heed the warnings regarding using a sealant to try to stop the leak, and get it done right. Otherwise, the rust will get worse and you will be in my shoes.

So I figured out why my blinkers weren't blinking. Seems the flasher was filled up with water... leaking from the windshield. After changing to synthetic blinker fluid, the blinkers blink well. :grin:

Anyways, how does one fix a leaky windshield? Sounds like its a remove windshield and replace gasket kinda thing... Do companies like diamond autoglass do this for a reasonable price?

That's exactly what happened on my Brat. I nearly mentioned that your flasher was probably full of water as that seems to be the most common way they fail. Looked nasty and rusted inside.

Sadly most windsheild shops don't like to replace the gaskets - they like to "flow" the glass in with that liquid urethane stuff. While it does work, it looks like a$$ and doesn't retain the chrome strip. There are a few folks that have replaced them on their own - apparently it's not that hard. You use kerosene (per the FSM) to lubricate the gasket and using a bit of strong cord you pull the gasket through to the inside working your way around the glass. Get a NEW gasket if you can - I've heard that the dealer one's have gotten a bit "hard" from years of shelf life. Try some of the aftermarket suppliers and let us know what you find as I will be in need of one eventually myself.

GD

We are doing a special order for Gen 1's for EXACTLY the same reason!!!

See the sticky at the top of the Historic Forum.

Get a new rubber. :slobber: There are certain rubber things that cause major problems when they fail. A Subaru front gasket and you can guess the other! LOL

I think Precision Replacement parts has the gasket still.

http://www.prp.com

If not, I would suggest getting special order started. They will make a batch for 25 or more. I'm POSITIVE you could get 25 to buy NEW gen 2 windshield rubber.

Todd

... After changing to synthetic blinker fluid, the blinkers blink well. :grin:

Anyways, how does one fix a leaky windshield? ...

Synthetic Blinker Fluid... I Remember that! :)

Well... as its Explained, the Better Idea is to Change the Gasket, but for Temporary use, you can put in Clear Sylicone.

it Worked fine on my White Wagon. :burnout: