Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Colorado BBQ - May 20th, Rampart @ 11am

We should do a BBQ in like a month or so. I was thinking the weekend of May 12th or 13th. I don't want to host it, but if no one else wants to, I can at my place.

Why? I'll be done with another semester, Keith's got job offers, Phil's graduating soon, Russ is leaving sometime, we're near the start of summer, and because BBQs are fun.

So what you guys think?

Also, when you leaving Russ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a BBQ & a campfire? Maybe have a gathering in the hills?

No actual camping, nothing overnight, Just some light dirt road wheelin there, fresh air, and a wood fire? No-one has to host, just bring some foodies?

I was thinking Rampart Range or the like. Something street soobs can get to (and the rest of us can still play in the dirt)

Whadda ya think?

(nice photo opps too...)

How about a BBQ & a campfire? Maybe have a gathering in the hills?

No actual camping, nothing overnight, Just some light dirt road wheelin there, fresh air, and a wood fire? No-one has to host, just bring some foodies?

I was thinking Rampart Range or the like. Something street soobs can get to (and the rest of us can still play in the dirt)

Whadda ya think?

(nice photo opps too...)

Ya man that is a great idea. Subarus,campfire and woods and trails all go together really well.I am game,just need to think of the right spot I guess.

Where's Rampart Range? Sounds interesting. Maybe Switzerland trail will be open by then too (If I ever get the fuel tank fixed on my truck, I was going to go try to plow through some of the snow drifts lift on it soon -- had some 4 foot ones three weeks ago still). It's fine for street soobs, but the end of one branch has some serious jeep trail for the lifted ones.

Z

Rampart Range Rd. is off of Hwy 67. ( 67 is South on Sante-Fe, to Sedalia, then it runs West.) If Rampart is followed all the way, it eventually lets out in Deckers near Garden of the Gods, (a long but pretty drive) but there is no need to go nearly that far.

A short drive (and a moderate hike) also leads to Devil's Head: a Fire lookout tower you can visit with INCREDIBLE views.

It's one of my usual summer stomping grounds. I realize most of you guys are in Golden & northern areas, But it's very simple to get to, is sutible for normal cars, and even has a payphone at the trailhead and port a potties in places.

I mostly mention it because I know it well, and It's close to the city (and me anyway).

And, as opposed to driving up the divide for an hour, Rampart is only 20 min or so of "climbing the canyon"

But I'm open to all close-ish options. :headbang:

If we go somewhere more on-roadsey we can also kinda do the coupe meet Russ wanted to do. I took him the engine today so it should be done rather soon... right?:) What about Bear Creek Lake Park? We went there before and I brought a grill and we just cooked and stood around... in fact I think I still have some pics laying around... ohh! Heres one:lol:

Erik012.jpg

I'm up for pretty much anything, My RX is down off the road for a bit while I get started on fixing on all the rust, but doesn't mean I can't drag it out for a meet....

And yea when you going to have that coupe on the road now Russ? :grin:

I should have my coupe road worthy sometime this next week or so. I still have to finish up the carrier bearing mount (hopefully I won't light the car on fire again), install the clutch, oil pump and timing belts, then install it into the car drop my intake on and see if I can get some noise from it. Then I gotta swap the 4wd exhaust on it, swap pedal clusters, install my instrument cluster, swap seats, finish with some interior stuff, give it an alignment and swap on some better tires. Then I should be able to drive it down there and *hopefully* not have any issues like I did with my stupid F*&^#&^# Audi:rolleyes:

Colorado to Detroit ( "Detroit: where the weak are killed and eaten" ).

Bummer, man. Sorry to see you go. :(

Bear Creek park was cool, and I'd go back, but I was thinking something more....Mountany.

Food cooked on fire in hole in ground. Find wood for fire, get dirt on food, get dirt on car, grunt like man.:drunk:

Colorado to Detroit ( "Detroit: where the weak are killed and eaten" ).

Bummer, man. Sorry to see you go. :(

Bear Creek park was cool, and I'd go back, but I was thinking something more....Mountany.

Food cooked on fire in hole in ground. Find wood for fire, get dirt on food, get dirt on car, grunt like man.:drunk:

Some of us don't have mountain friendly vehicles... me being one of them:grin:

That and I don't wanna get my coupe dirty too much, especially once I repaint the sucker.

I suggested Rampart because you could get up it in a honda.

No Subie will have any trouble.

Now, it will likely get dirty, but not covered in mud. (Of course, if you're a wuss, you could always park at the trailhead and ride to the fire with someone :-p :Flame: )

I suggested Rampart because you could get up it in a honda.

Who's driving the Honda? I got my VW GTI up to the stream fording on the far side of mirror lake, on Tincup pass heading towards St. Elmo, and I know alot of people who parked their SUV's on the other side of the lake at the easy parking lot.

Yeah, I mean there's some washboard and an occasional pothole, but it's a road, not a trail. People take motorhomes up it. (it's a popular area)

It's actually a lousy place for 4wheeling. No "obsticales" to speak of.

(once you get 10-15 miles in, the road gets rougher and rockier, but still not a 4x4 trail.)

There are little offshoot campsites the entire length of the road. 95% of which a standard car can drive right into.