Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Performance mods

(87 lifted wagon)

what do you recomend or what have you done?

im making my own intake and buying a new fuel system. im thinkin about keepin it FI. But Weber/Redline have some mean race carbs.:grin: im not much of a turbo guy i like raw performance and a deep roar:headbang:

are there other really good mods? even if it helps just a little bit... cams, coils, yada yada. simple stuff for now. Until i do the rebuild:grin:

scroll down to the bottom of the screen right now, on the very bottom left hand corner the site is showing threads similar to yours. use the search function to look up "performance", start by looking in thread titles only, then search the entire thread in the older generation forum. it's been covered extensively. most will tell you that an EA82 isn't really worth the time, 88hp instead of 80.

cams are available - delta cams makes them for the EA82 - tons of information on them on this site. intake and exhaust is essentially build your own. remove the water coolant lines from the throttle body, switch to MPFI, get a spider manifold, loose your p/s and a/c, get an aluminum pulley...alot of work and loss of comfort and functionality to make a slow car a little less slow. i would avoid aftermarket coils, they cause problems and don't add anything. paint your existing coil red or yellow if that's what you're after!

...i like raw performance and a deep roar:headbang: ...

For that, I´ll Sugest Go Weber! ... it Makes a Incredible Deep Loud Roar when it Opens the Secondary... (it Scares People Out!) but if Your Subie is F.I. ... I Think That you have other "Silent" Choices...

To "Feel" Real Better Performance just by Done simple things, you need to do Many "Simple" Things, as Upgrade your Engine´s Coil for a Higher Voltage one, Use Better Wires, Sparkplug Wires (There isn´t much you can do with Sparkplugs, as EA82 "Loves" Just the NGK´s ... I Suggest you to Choose the BPR6EY11 NGK´s, the ones with the "Y" Cuted Electrode) and Tune Up the Engine, and if your State´s Laws Allow, remove the Cathalitic Converters, EGR, smog Stuff etc...

Good Luck! :burnout:

(87 lifted wagon)

what do you recomend or what have you done?

:grin:

this helps.. rev it way up and drop the clutch, dont ride the clutch, this gives a little more power for those steep hill climbs, smaller the tires the better gearing also , we will plan a trip to walker once your cars up to it and I have something to take SJR:banana:

Stick to FI. The system is hardly unreliable, and you probably have better throttle response and a more flat torque curve then a weber.

Webers are great and all, but FI is probably better.

The switch would be fairly easy. You'd need a carb intake manifold. Then remove all the wiring and sensors from the FI stuff. Oh yeah, Carbi Distributor would be needed too.

it looks mean and is outlaw'd in cali cause of its emissions and snappy responce.

Its "outlawed" because it isn't approved by the DOT. It is technically illegal to use it on streets anywhere in the US. That's neither here no there. It wouldn't be outlawed due to snappy response...

my flywheel seems really heavy...

Because it is. EA82 flywheels are extremely heavy.

nothing like a good old fashioned thread on how to polish a turd :grin:

hallmark performance mod: EJ series engine install.

sorry.

if you dont want that, and dont want turbo, then get out the sawzall and start removing weight from your car. You can start by removing the doors and glass, and then any seating you don't need...

..sorry, am I coming off like a jerk? My intent was to convey the fact that really, (and I LOVE the engine) playing performance games with an EA82 IS poloshing a turd. Playing ECONOMY games with an EA82 is NOT polishing a turd.. but trying to turn it into a hi power plant is impossible without spending a good about of cash on a nice turbo setup, and throwing reliability out the window. (at least, throwing GUARANTEED reliability out the window)

If you want an NA engine in your soob to give it some oomph, just go for the EJ swap. 140 hp, thats 50% more than you have now, out of the box. if you install Megasquirt along with that, you might even tune in to 150 horse.

Unfortunately, these cylinder heads with their siamesed ports just do not flow very freely, and free flowing heads are a prerequisite to NA power. No cam in the world is going to push 180 horsepower out of a pair of siamesed, ~30mm exhaust ports. you need a TURBO to push over 100 horsepower INTO the engine, or you won't ever get it OUT..

the GOOD news is, the EJ swap has been done a thousand times. You aren't likely to run into any problems that haven't been experienced before.

EA82: long on econemy, short on performance. It will NEVER live up to expectations, and the money spent is down an endless hole - it would cost thousands to get an EA82 N/A to the 135 HP of the EJ22. You can pick up a low mileage EJ22 for $250 or less now. The yards around here just dropped the price of entire engines to $150...

GD

if im gonna do a EJ swap it would be a spendy one 300 HP+.. none of this 150 HP junk:lol:

IF i do it wont be till i get another RU

Dude, your car weighs like, 2200 poiunds... you dont NEED 300 horse!!!

the EJ swap is cheap and easy. 150 horse in 2200 pound vehicle is PLENTY

it matters to me... when i pull up to a stop light in my 400 horsepower 87 subaru GL wagon:lol: . and have the fellow STI rev at me... i would want him to hear AND feel the 400 horses. there IS a bigger sound with more HP... theres no point in having HP if you can hear it (in my opinion). even if its my ea82... its gotta sound mean (Not Like A Ricer:-\ , like subaru muscle:headbang: )

alot of you guys doubt the engines:(

only if you coulda drove my brat... it would bring open your eyes:lol:

it matters to me... when i pull up to a stop light in my 400 horsepower 87 subaru GL wagon:lol: . and have the fellow STI rev at me... i would want him to hear AND feel the 400 horses. there IS a bigger sound with more HP... theres no point in having HP if you can hear it (in my opinion). even if its my ea82... its gotta sound mean (Not Like A Ricer:-\ , like subaru muscle:headbang: )

alot of you guys doubt the engines:(

only if you coulda drove my brat... it would bring open your eyes:lol:

are you drunk

feck I hope you can get 200ish hp from a turboed engine with 4K.Boost and MBC and FMIC(no top mount,no heat soak from engine).Bigger downpipe and by god you should be well above 400HP or does subaru turbo tuning cost alot more for the same HP gain as Saab turbo tuning?

I myself am getting my subaru working right(with an exhaust mind you) then I am going to TURBO the 2.0LI4 in my saab.10:1 compression,10 PSI boost.Water cooled IC,3" DP.Very good knock retardation system.All that for less than a grand including the turbo swap.Should make 250 hp(up from factory 125) with NO lag(only downside is FWD and very fragile gearbox above 250 HP...

pour 4 K into a 275hp stock turbo motor and you should land at 600+ hp.

For either use, street or offroad. Your best bet dollar for dollar for more power, potential, and reliablity is an ej swap.

The 90-94 ej22e can handle a decent amount of boost even in stock non-turbo state. And has a non-interference design. Doesn't have headgasket issues, makes enough torque to spin the tires in 3rd with bigger tires at a 25mph roll.

Honestly, you can find a good running gen1 legacy manual for dirt cheap, my donor car cost $250, and gave me a few years of service before the rust got to it too bad.

You could even use it to convert your ea82 car to awd. The ej motors possibilities are almost limitless. The ea81 and ea82 are well very limited in aftermarket support, and are just simply out dated for many reasons.