Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Only highmount brake light illuminates when brake pedal is pressed 1994 Legacy Wagon

On this 1994 Legacy L Wagon, when pressing the brake, only the highmount/third brake light illuminates. The left and right stop lights do nothing. The left and right taillights illuminate if the parking/head lights are on, but there is no change when pressing the brake.

Just wondering if this is a common issue or what wiring areas to check. Maybe this issue was already addressed in another post... Thanks! :)

rear1.jpg

On this 1994 Legacy L Wagon, when pressing the brake, only the highmount/third brake light illuminates. The left and right stop lights do nothing. The left and right taillights illuminate if the parking/head lights are on, but there is no change when pressing the brake.

Just wondering if this is a common issue or what wiring areas to check. Maybe this issue was already addressed in another post... Thanks! :)

rear1.jpg

Sometimes there is a `Stoplight Checker` , build in the right tail lamp.

Has 3 reed relais and the current flow for both brake lights goes over this circuit. Just check it.

Hendrick, thanks I will look for this stoplight checker. Jamal, good point, I thought about that today, it is entirely possible that both stop lamp elements are simply blown out. I will check it out. :burnout:

Since I just got this vehicle I've got my 10 day temporary NYS inspection sticker and the list of things checked in a NYS safety inspection and am trying to make sure everything is in order before going in.

Schweeeet! Problem solved. One bulb was blown out, the other just had a bad connection in the socket. Replaced both bulbs and it's working! Thanks you guys! :banana:

Here's the story in pictures: Yes there is some weird relay contraption on the RH side:

RHrearlights1.jpgLHrearlights1.jpg

Then I put in these new bulbs:

GENighthawk1.jpg

With some of this grease on the contacts and stuff:

bulbgrease1.jpg

And this is what happened: (:banana:)

rearbrakelightsworking1.jpg

Hm...maybe I should see if they have synthetic bulb grease! :cool: and might as well put in the low-friction muffler bearings while I have it up.

Not sure what in this bulb grease. It's a white paste. I suspect it's silicone grease with some sort of cleaner in it. If put on a tarnished connection it will make it shiny after a while.

Haven't had any stuck in the socket bulbs on the Suby's though even without this grease. Started using it on the 'ol 88 lincoln 'cause the bulbs liked to rot into the sockets making them impossible to get out. This stuff seemed to help.