Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T - Ticking Motor

I've noticed this for about the last week, and it just started getting bad today.

My EA81 Turbo motor has a very faint nock at idle. As you rev it, it gets louder up to about 3K, where it gets loud and stays loud. If I let off of the gas completely, it stops.

This doesn't seem like a typical lifter tap to me... or could it be? It does have hydro lifters.

Should I fear the worst? I hope not.

Eh... Yeah thats probably not a good thing. So if it is a rod knock, will you up the boost?

Eh, probably not. I'm going to operate under the assumption its just a noisy lifter for now... I rely on my car too much to purposefully blow it up. I can't afford a replacement (car or engine) right now, so the longer I prolong the inevitable, the better.

Eh, probably not. I'm going to operate under the assumption its just a noisy lifter for now... I rely on my car too much to purposefully blow it up. I can't afford a replacement (car or engine) right now, so the longer I prolong the inevitable, the better.

Mike, I know Bill has an EA81T from his t-coupe that was pissing water or something form somewhere (never started it up to see myself) and he's planning on throwing it away. I bet he'd give it to you but it would be minus turbo IIRC.....

I've had knocking motors last for over a year with easy driving. So you should be able to prolong it's life for a while, since it's just starting.

Mike, I know Bill has an EA81T from his t-coupe that was pissing water or something form somewhere (never started it up to see myself) and he's planning on throwing it away. I bet he'd give it to you but it would be minus turbo IIRC.....

I'll take you up on that. Can't hurt to have spare parts.

I'll take you up on that. Can't hurt to have spare parts.

well you gotta talk to him but last time he mentioned that motor, it was heading for the scrap bin. I think it either had a cracked head or a blown headgasket. Just recently had a bunch of head work done by the previous owner before it sat and Bill picked it up. So the engine was still good, we just swapped it out for one that ran (from the turbo Brat)

When I did the 5 speed swap on my wagon, I used the EA82 flywheel with EA81 bolts. There was enough extra space that the flywheel could wiggle around making a knocking sound. I fixed it with some shims. Could this be your problem?

Could be? I dunno. I used 225mm EA81 flywheel with EA81 flywheel bolts. I don't really wanna pull the transmission to check... Can I easily check through the timing hole somehow?

If it goes and you have the $$, you could get one of them sweet CCR motors.

I'm living on $160/mo for food and gas ;) No way could I afford one of them sweet motors.

Jeff came over, and he and I basically concluded its probably not a knock or something. Now it sounds more like a rattle, coming from the transmission tunnel area. He's dead set on it being the linkage... I don't think so, but I'm gonna play with it.

• 1 year later...

Couple of things to check, When you start it up cold is the noise worse for a second or two and them calm down as the oil pressure comes up? Could be a worn rod bearing.

It could also be the piston skirts are starting to colapse by a few thousands and you are hearing some slap sometimes this will quiet down as the engine gets warm after a freeway drive for example

Been almost two years. I hope he get the problem resolved by now.

I did fix it. Turned out to be the flywheel bolts had worked them selves loose.

Tightened 'em down with Loc-tite and got it straightened out...

I think this car was parted by ShawnW though.