Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brakes for legacy

cvincent

i have a 99 leg--not outback that i want to put bigger rotors on , i does not brake well, when i bought rotors and pads this past time we had a very hard time finding the right ones for the car, all the part places pulled the wrong ones it was weird, has anyone else had that problem? anyway can i put outback rotors on this 99 and do i have to swap my 15 in wheels if i do?

thanks!

in 2000 with the BE series, brakes went to 10.7 F and 11.3 R.

Your 99 has 10.1 F and 10.5 rear. Any change in rotor size will require an upgrade to your wheels and also the caliper brackets and possibly the calipers also.

check any site that sells brake pads and check the part #s for both years, if they are different, then, the calipers are probably different too.

O.

Hey i have a 99 leg as well, just got wrx 05 rims for 150 with bf re92s. Next is the brake upgrade, i was told get wrx brakes.

you have to get the knuckles/hubs, calipers 4, rotors 4, brake pads, brake lines, master cylinder shouldnt spend more than 250 used. let m eknow how it goes

for wrx front brakes you only need the rotor, the caliper, and the caliper bracket....bolts right up to the stock legacy backing plate. as for the rears, you need the 11.4'' rotor, a 02' or 03' wrx rear calipers(and pads) and the rear caliper brackets off the same car the 11.4'' rotors came from. and you have to trim/remove the backing plate/dust shield.

~Josh~

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
rare car, relatively speaking.

Not real rare, Brighton model Legacies never had disc rears.

But to answer the question short answer yes. Longer answer 95-99 legacy rear wheel bearings and hubs are stronger than regular wrx stuff. Get a rear hub setup from any legacy that range, and swap the rotors, caliper brackets, and calipers to them. You can do from an rear this way. I recently swapped my mom's 98 L to the two piston fronts from a 91 turbo legacy, and the difference was amazing.

• 5 months later...

Ok back to the topic...

I picked up a wrecked 2002 WRX for swap parts and have proceeded to exchange the brakes.

My god they fit!!! :clap: well i knew they would thanks to you guys.:grin:

Now id like to demo $15 caliper paint...

Asmall.jpg

wow what a difference

The original rotor placed on top of the fresh WRX rotor

Csmall.jpg

THe final

Bsmall.jpg

i know the pict is blurry camera phones suck.

Any one want to buy a set of brakes form a 1999 Subaru Legacy?