Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wont Start!!!

i have no clue what it is.. i was out playin on a bumpy dirt road, ran perfect i went to QFC parked went to start it and it wouldny go! tryed to push start it and nothin parked it, poped the hood and disconnected the coil to disty wire and saw spark then hooked it back up and it fired up.. it almost stalled on the way home.. the rmp gauge was hopin around all over the place and it sputterd in low rpms (below 3 grand)

anyone have a clue?

my guess is eletrical:mad:

PLEASE ANYTHING TO POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. im gonna check the disty again...

i got it to fire up! but its was poppin like hell. i would hold my foot on the gas and it would cut out almost die then shoot the rpms right back up then pop like no other.... i can even tell its have a rythem to the engine its jumpin all over.

any clues?

You stated that you think the spark is jumping around. Check the wires at night while trying to start the engine. If the spark is jumping to ground outside the wires you may have a coil body grounding problem. Make sure the coil mounting is clean. The fact that the tach is having trouble indicates there is a problem around the coil area.

You can also place a test light probe on the minus side of the coil and watch the firing pulses to make sure that is ok while you crank the engine.

i swapped distys with a newer one i pulled off a trash ru and it wouldnt go.. my buddy pushed me down the street with his truck and it sounded like it was started and fine but it wouldnt take off? as soon as he stopped the car put put like it was deiseling. then dies after 3 seconds... im sooo lost. scott can you help? im buyin this for $1800, the brakes go out, now the engine... i have some bad luck.

Qman, sell me your brat for my birthday(06/02/1988)!:banana: $$$$cash:brow:

i have never seen this before

87 gl wagon f/i

i took the disty cap off and there was a little water in it.. i

That's your problem. Just use a paper towel or a paper nampkin to soak up the moisture in there. Do it again after 15 minutes to get the remainder.

You should be fine.

(and don't tell him to seal his disty, cuz water on the outside will condense into the inside and then it's a mess to take apart)