Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 2.2 and 2wd auto tranny into sandrail

rwilcox

I have the motor and tranny and a huge mess of wires i took from a 1990 legacy. and i have a ton of questions first

is the 2wd tcu the same as awd tcu?

is there a place to find what wires out of that mess i need and which ones i can do away with?

or am i better off going with an aftermarket ecu and harness would rather not because there big money.

is what i am wanting to do possible?

thanks

ralph

is the harness the same from 2wd to awd

I am also trying to find someone to do my harness for me and am haveing a little trouble. so if you read this and can do a harness or know someone that can please call me at 317-514-9894 anytime day or night. I would really like to get this part of the project started.

thanks

ralph

No the awd auto harness has a couple of extra wires.The plugs are the same at the gearbox and tcu end ,some models have the pinning slightly different but you can move these.It would be easier if you want awd to use a awd loom but you can add the the wires and pins to a fwd loom.Also you need to keep the speed sensor to make it shift properly,awd drive have 2 one on the box one in the dash.The front wheel drive speed sensor uses the dash one as a back up so you can get away with just the one on the box .You can use a aftermarket one vw guys know about these.Stripping the loom is time consuming first time round.Early subaru auto looms[series1] are harder to strip than later models.

Look in the vendor sales forum on here. There are a couple of guys that do EJ swap harness prep for like $200...having done the swap myself, I would call it money well spent. By the time you buy the FSM you need to figure out which wires are which, you're nearly halfway to $200 anyway.