Ultimate Subaru Message Board

UPDATE 74 Sedan: Headgasket : The Subaru Gods are smiling

Bryan:

It would be easier to covert to an EA 71 1600. Far easier and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference from just looking under the hood. (I know you are an original buff) The 1600s can be located fairly easy too.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks-

Check this out- Here's a Subaru-Saved Good Karma story for you;

So this little 74 needed a head gasket and I was debating whether or not to get into engine work.

Decided to go ahead and fix it; Did some research and found that right here in San Diego is a great Subaru Mechanic. His specialty: vintage Subes.

So I had the car hauled out to him and the day it arrived in his shop, a friend of his showed up. He hadn't seen the guy in years; But they used to work together at a Subaru dealership in the 70's. When the guy saw my car sitting there, he said he has TWO brand new engines for this very car sitting on their crates that he just wants to get rid of.

Short story made really short- We agreed on a price and the little car is getting treated to a shiny new engine. The guy is happy, the mechanic is happy, the car will be saved, and most importantly, I now have a Subaru mechanic for future projects.

I love stuff like this. BT:)

Oh yeah, anyone want an extra new engine? PM me.

Ummmm . . . try 33ish.

Awesome score, Bryan! Does he have any other good stuff hiding out?

I'm definitely going to ask. He seems to be very knowledgeable and really likes these old cars. I know he has a beautiful black Brat. Whatever else I find, I'll pass along to you guys.

-B