Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rusted oil pan - back four bolts

Could someone who has replaced his oil pan on a 2.2 L. tell me how he removed the four bolts at the back of the pan.

As far as I can see it seem impossible without raising the engine.

Hope I'm not right.

Guest theotherskip

i haven't done it, but the haynes manual says that there are access holes in the crossmember that is blocking your view of them (the crossmember which holds the steering rack). sorry i can't give you real-world advice...

Guest bill rigsby

No access holes on my 99 Impreza, I am ready to

do it but not in the mood to raise the engine yet

like the manual says. I may drill the access holes.

bill

I have two access holes on mine (for the two center bolts), but the corner bolts will require a serious swivel joint extension to get out

Thanks.

A bran new black and shiny oil pan is sitting right next to my desk. Not costly enough to risq a misfit with a used one.

I would like to have a last information if possible.

If I ever have to lift the engine a couple on inches, do I really have to unbolt the exhaust headers like Chilton's says or is there enough play in the exhaust system to take it ?

And if Shawn is reading this, what kind of swivel did you use exactly for the back corner bolts? Swivel socket or swivel extension? I mean was the swivel part right next to the bolt or otherwise. I'm preparing to do this at the cottage and since there's only one car I wont be able to go the store to get extra tools :x

Guest Bobsube

A 1/4 inch drive ratchet with long extension and swivel works very well. Instead of lifting the engine, I loosen the oil pickup assembly to allow the pan to come off.

Guest alia176

Some misc ramblings......

Remember to put antiseize compound on the threads of the"new" bolts that will be used to install the new pan. I say new, cause if you're gonna go through this headache might as well do it right for the next time! These bolts can be purchased at a local ACE hardware stores. Also, try to use sockets instead of screwdriver bits. I haven't done this on mine so I dunno if this is possible. Sockets just provide more torque, which also means more chances of the bolt head shearing off. If the bolt looks rusty, then spraying some penetrating oil couple of days before might (or not) help out things!

Have fun.

Ali