Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have owned my 2006 Outback (which I bought new from a dealer) for 11 months. I was just outside washing and waxing when I noticed rust colored speckles all over the white paint. Has anybody else seen this? What should I do?

It might just be some type of a road film, regardless, if I had a warranty I would go to a Nice dealer.

I agree that it may just be road film. Go to an auto parts store and pick up a claybar and some quick detailer and see if the contaminant will come off with a few swipes of the claybar. You can also try a heavy duty tar and adhesive remover to rub the film off.

I've read about people getting the paint covered by warrenty, if the dealer says no, go straight to SOA.

2006, definitely give the dealer the first shot at this. you paid for a warranty, use it. hopefully they're "nice" (crossing fingers.....)

Tried a ClayBar. It removed the "Grit", but left the rust color in the white paint. Going to the dealer Tuesday.

Did you follow the directions? You may need some rubbing compound followed by wax.

The dealer may be nice and fix it at no charge to you (if you bought the car there/service there etc.....)

But it is not a warranty issue.

Did you follow the directions? You may need some rubbing compound followed by wax.

The dealer may be nice and fix it at no charge to you (if you bought the car there/service there etc.....)

But it is not a warranty issue.

We'll have to wait to see what the response is from the dealer/SOA as to what the "cause" of the problem is. If it is an abnormal condition that is not caused by those items outlined in the warranty:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/warranty/index.jsp?year=2006

then I would think/hope that both the dealer and SOA would want to take care of this promptly. With such a new model year, why risk future sales with this customer and possibly many others if the word gets out...

Just got back from the dealer. He said it looks like "Damage Caused by the Environment". Which is not covered by the warr. If SOA were to do something, It would be "good will". My question is, If I bought the car in VT and I live 20 mins away in VT, How could it be "Damage Caused by the Environment"? Maybe Subaru shoudn't be selling car in VT. I hope that SOA does the right thing....................

Just got back from the dealer. He said it looks like "Damage Caused by the Environment". Which is not covered by the warr. If SOA were to do something, It would be "good will". My question is, If I bought the car in VT and I live 20 mins away in VT, How could it be "Damage Caused by the Environment"? Maybe Subaru shoudn't be selling car in VT. I hope that SOA does the right thing....................

Sounds fishy to me on that new of a car! I would keep calling and plead your case. It might be worth going to a different dealer.

The paint quality on the Outback is very poor, our 2005 Outback has a lot of scratches and the whole suspension parts are rusted. :-\

Lukas[/quote

I have to agree on both points. In some regards, the bottom side of my 96 Outback with 215K looks better than my 05 with 40K, including the the exhaust (still have all original exhaust and suspension on the 96). I don't expect the 05 will look as good underneath when it reaches that mileage. The durability of the 96 was a deciding factor to buying a new Sube, I'm now concerned that Subaru hasn't carried forward the same quality in materials and workmanship...:-\

Time will tell...

since newer rules are requireing water based paint many manufacturers are having paint problems.

The paint my BMW has is chipping worse than my Forester.

Think green and compalin to your Subaru rep if the dealer does not help.

On my BMW I have repainted the hood with PPG which beats heck out of the stock paint.

Here in Ohio and Pennsylvania this is a common issue. It's from the road salts and magnesium chloride that they use. Dont panic some old fashioned elbow grease will clean it up with a clay bar or polish. Then a good quality wax til winter comes again. If you look closely you will find it on the plastic parts as well.:mad: I have found those orange specs on other autos as well. If you hand wash your subie you will notice this sooner and can stay ahead of the curve. It's the price we pay to live in the snow belts and use of deicing chemicals.