Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Open Source EJ Lift, let's get going

Andyjo

Alright, since noone's really making lifts for the EJ's (body lifts that is) i figured, since my OBS is out of commission for a while, it's going to get big, and i'll just make my own lift for it.

So, i figured once i have it designed, i'll just post the 3-views, specs, and whatever people need to get it built if they so please.

So the parts that i'll give a shot at designing:

-Strut tower blocks, possibly with some camber correction ;)

-Engine & Tranny Blocks

-Diff Lower-er

and... what else? does the exhaust need to be messed with much?

Now.. i know it'll take some time, but i'd like some input about this stuff... here's something i started to just mess with, no measurements, or to scale, just a general idea of the strut block.

strutassy_2.jpg

i'm thinking aluminum... for weight & easy of machining...

aye ideas?

It'll most likely be a year or so because i can finally get time to rip apart the car, and install it... but why not start designing now? ;)

The Ozified kit is this >< close to being ready. The website says available by Summer. He's going to do a 2 inch kit that will mate to the OB strut spring swap.

It'd save you some time and trouble. . . :confused: :-\ :rolleyes::mad::banghead::Flame:

Why is your car out of commission? Why will it be that way for a year?

Ive got a EJ at the shop all tore up Ive been thinking of making a extension at the bottom of the strut it has 2 bolts ,If you move the bottom mt to the top hole you gain 3"?? , then add some bar stock with 3 holes in it to catch the extra hole , thats the basic Idea, also this will allow for a over 27" tire , by next year I would like to offer a 4"

Ive got a EJ at the shop all tore up Ive been thinking of making a extension at the bottom of the strut it has 2 bolts ,If you move the bottom mt to the top hole you gain 3"?? , then add some bar stock with 3 holes in it to catch the extra hole , thats the basic Idea, also this will allow for a over 27" tire , by next year I would like to offer a 4"

I like that Scott. Pretty simple.

The OB swap gains about 4 inches of height. The OB strut has an extra 1 1/2 inches of travel at each corner too.

The Ozified kit is this >< close to being ready. The website says available by Summer. He's going to do a 2 inch kit that will mate to the OB strut spring swap.

It'd save you some time and trouble. . . :confused: :-\ :rolleyes::mad::banghead::Flame:

Why is your car out of commission? Why will it be that way for a year?

I didn't know Ozified was working on one, you're right that would be alot easier... oh well, i do like making things on my own, and i'll be bored after work ;)

As for the OBS... the tranny is toast, i've gotta' pull that and fix her up... why it'll take a year... $$, moving, to MA, etc... the Car will be staying in the barn in NH, but it's an hour drive from where i'm going to be living... fixing the tranny won't be that hard, just have to find the time :burnout:

I talked to some of my buddies about the camber issue... sounds like the controling arm may drop down a little bit too. we'll see.

I like the extension to the bottom of the strut idea too.

but i guess i'll see what happens, i'll mess with stuff, see what i can come up with, since i like doing stuff myself, rather than shelling out $$ for other people to do it for me, eh whatever, i'd like to learn something during the process too ;)

I have been thinking the same way.

The OBS is mainly a winter car / foul weather vehicle. So I was thinking about fabbing a lift over the summer.

X-member and strut top blocks should be minimal worry, I'm more concerned with the steering rack rag joint extension and the pitch stopper.

The pitch stopper should be fairly easy.

For the rear I was just going to go with WRX or SG Forester lateral links and axles, and extend my trailing arms an inch or so.

BTW I stuffed 28's on mine by using SG Forester struts.

The EJ lift is a pain - too many variations.

I have Zap's kit 90%, he should have it in two weeks. (yep, count'em two)

There are 24 blocks (not counting rear sway bar) and 4 strut extensions.

M10 and M12 bolts of various lengths, extended steering shaft, extended anti-pitch rod, radiator hose.

I think open source may be a good idea > Linux Lift Kits :lol:

r/ PK

It'd save you some time and trouble. . .

I think open source may be a good idea > Linux Lift Kits :lol: + i like doing stuff myself, rather than shelling out $$ for other people to do it for me + broke rump roast student student who likes money to stay in the bank.

I wish that the specs of the kits were published so that those with the equipment could use that as a basis for their own. I have all the material to make a monster lift, but there is no set-in-stone, proven formula for a lift that I have seen.

I've been looking for a lift foreverrrrrrr for the Lesbaru.

I would like some more info on Scott's, everyone keeps saying they're working on lifts but no one ever says its quite ready.. :dead:

Something quick and dirty would work well, as everyone else seems to be running their axles pretty steep without issue.

Guess there isn't as big of a demand as everyone on the forum wants you to believe. :lol:

The EJ lift is a pain - too many variations.

I have Zap's kit 90%, he should have it in two weeks. (yep, count'em two)

There are 24 blocks (not counting rear sway bar) and 4 strut extensions.

M10 and M12 bolts of various lengths, extended steering shaft, extended anti-pitch rod, radiator hose.

I think open source may be a good idea > Linux Lift Kits :lol:

r/ PK

24 blocks :eek:

well.. i guess if you want to do it right, you've got to go all out, right ;)

i'm not to worried about it, take it as it goes pretty much :)

Hey uh, regarding the lower strut mount extension concept...

While prowling PullaPart a while back, I'd swear I spotted that same style of lower strut mount on some other make of vehicle. If that were the case, there's a chance that some other strut might give the desired lift, more travel, and/or better tire clearance. Anyone explore that avenue?

• 2 weeks later...

well.. i suppose there are several ways to lift an EJ-aru.

you can just lift the suspension, and run a larger angle on your half shafts, or you can lift the whole body up, so you'd have tranny/engine/all sorts of other blocks....

so if it was done correctly you could have the suspension lift part work with the body lift part....

does that even make sense to anyone but me? :rolleyes:

when i get back home i'm going to start measuring and designing some stuff and see how it works.

i'm guessing the OB's and Legacies are relitivly similar to my OBS, besides the bolt pattern & strut top hat issues. soo... that might lead one to believe making an extension to the bottom of the strut as an easier process?

i drew up a quick strut assy with a hub... yeah... the hub is just a block for now.. .and none of the dimensions are set... realistically.. just did it by eye... but we have this:

stock_config.jpg

and... i'll draw up some lifting methods in a bit... so the 1st way would be to add a big ol' block up on the top of the top hat, the second way would be to add an extention to the bottom where teh hub mounts to the strut.

Lifting from the bottom - yes, sounds simple - HOWEVER,

You may have to run 16 or 17 inch wheels because the strut bolt bracket faces the outside and will hit the wheel when pushing it up 2 inches.

... at least it does on my 93 Leg. r/ PK

Lifting from the bottom - yes, sounds simple - HOWEVER,

You may have to run 16 or 17 inch wheels because the strut bolt bracket faces the outside and will hit the wheel when pushing it up 2 inches.

... at least it does on my 93 Leg. r/ PK

good call, i suppose i'll have to make some rims, and check clearances...

So what degrees would a lift from the top of the strut need in order to keep camber close to stock? I know on an EA it's 23 degrees isn't it? Any different on an EJ?

Not sure, I know with my Forester struts/springs on it there is not much room to be moving things around.

Gotta do the steering rack in the Forester this week, then I'll start tinkering with the lift blocks.

whose all interested and what would you pay , Im thinking a 4" lift all around . got a 91 legacy to use for a pattern, what other models and years would this 91 work on

Pretty much every Legacy 90-99, Impreza 93-01.

Forester and 02+ Impreza have a different bolt spacing for the rear top hat.