Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 Subaru Wagon BMW Clone / Suzuki Samari Land Rover clone pictures

Well, I finally had something worth posting after visiting this site for almost 3 years. This weekend, after 2 years, we finished a majority of my 1978 Wagon. Since college, this is my 3rd Soob and think this one turned out pretty cool. I have a sickness like most of you and my "fleet" is sitting at about 9 projects deep. It was good to get the majority of this one done. The 78 got a full interior, paint/body work from a rusty basket case, Flowmaster exhaust, new glass, tint, Grant steering wheel, dash mat, STi shift knob, WRX floor mats and countless little missing OEM parts. The entire Soob has been gone thru mechanically as well. Runs great and sounds like a monster V8!

BUT...Before all you Soob diehards get your panties in a bunch, the BMW badges are there as a joke. You have never seen so many confused looks when I pull up in this thing! I am a total Subaru nut just wanted to do something a little different on this one. I had an indentical 78 Wagon back in the early 1990's and wanted this to be different.

Next up, a sound system and old school rally stripes, decals. This will eventually become a promotional station vehicle for a radio station I own in Flagstaff, Arizona. I also have a clone "Land Rover" for my house in Mexico that I restored as well.

Lastly, a special thanks to Todd (Subaru3) for all of the parts and advice during this restoration.

CHECK IT OUT HERE:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=y0hw4hq.ckaobnim&Uy=cuw4cy&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Bill

We had the steering wheel (circa 1995 or so) from a previous project. After several trips for a wheel adaptor kit to Autozone, Checker and Napa...no luck. I called Summit Racing directly for a Grant GT adaptor and horn kit (yup, the horn even works!) The closest they had was for a 80 Brat. A quick email to Todd (Subaru3) confirmed that wheel kit for a 80 Brat would indeed work and it did flawlessly. Took about 3 minutes to install! I am 6"5", 260lbs...so I really need to get some extra room and this smaller diameter wheel did the trick. And it looks like my Momo in my WRX to boot!

We had the steering wheel (circa 1995 or so) from a previous project. After several trips for a wheel adaptor kit to Autozone, Checker and Napa...no luck. I called Summit Racing directly for a Grant GT adaptor and horn kit (yup, the horn even works!) The closest they had was for a 80 Brat. A quick email to Todd (Subaru3) confirmed that wheel kit for a 80 Brat would indeed work and it did flawlessly. Took about 3 minutes to install! I am 6"5", 260lbs...so I really need to get some extra room and this smaller diameter wheel did the trick. And it looks like my Momo in my WRX to boot!

Cool. Is that part up on the Summit Racing site, or do I need to give them a buzz like you did?

That is a great idea. I have been calling it a Dominator 45. The tires are Dominators and it was 1/2 the size of a Defender 90! I better stop by the Land Rover dealership this weekend and see if they have some Defender badges!

Hi Bill, nice suby.

Just wanted to say hello, from prescott.

I have a 78 (off the road), and 87 daily driver brat.

What radio station do you own?

take it easy, Dave

quote=flagwindow]Well, I finally had something worth posting after visiting this site for almost 3 years. This weekend, after 2 years, we finished a majority of my 1978 Wagon. Since college, this is my 3rd Soob and think this one turned out pretty cool. I have a sickness like most of you and my "fleet" is sitting at about 9 projects deep. It was good to get the majority of this one done. The 78 got a full interior, paint/body work from a rusty basket case, Flowmaster exhaust, new glass, tint, Grant steering wheel, dash mat, STi shift knob, WRX floor mats and countless little missing OEM parts. The entire Soob has been gone thru mechanically as well. Runs great and sounds like a monster V8!

BUT...Before all you Soob diehards get your panties in a bunch, the BMW badges are there as a joke. You have never seen so many confused looks when I pull up in this thing! I am a total Subaru nut just wanted to do something a little different on this one. I had an indentical 78 Wagon back in the early 1990's and wanted this to be different.

Next up, a sound system and old school rally stripes, decals. This will eventually become a promotional station vehicle for a radio station I own in Flagstaff, Arizona. I also have a clone "Land Rover" for my house in Mexico that I restored as well.

Lastly, a special thanks to Todd (Subaru3) for all of the parts and advice during this restoration.

CHECK IT OUT HERE:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=y0hw4hq.ckaobnim&Uy=cuw4cy&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Bill