Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gl-10 1987

recent purchase with 92K mi., excellent shape... almost.

air suspension leaks which after searching forum is not uncommon. want to convert and again used serach, to find fit for my application but no luck.

questions:

1. what years will work to make swap out

2. exactly what parts do i need to make switch

ps. in the end is it cost effective to just buy conversion kit.

help very much appreciated, thank you.

recent purchase with 92K mi., excellent shape... almost.

air suspension leaks which after searching forum is not uncommon. want to convert and again used serach, to find fit for my application but no luck.

questions:

1. what years will work to make swap out

2. exactly what parts do i need to make switch

ps. in the end is it cost effective to just buy conversion kit.

help very much appreciated, thank you.

I would say go to a junkyard, and pull all four struts, pull em as a whole assembly so you get the mountings and springs. If you want to buy new sruts to install, get basically any year(85-94) GL or Loyale nonair suspension

4WD struts. You may be able to just buy the new struts and use your existing uppermounts and springs, but they may be different so I would get a set of used ones with springs and eveything so you have all the parts needed.

you can swap in any gl/loyal struts and springs, junk yard is a good suggestion.

however i have a set of factory adjustable struts and springs with only 63k on em, they are still on the car so you can verify milage

we are in portland and can help with install as well

business line is 503-283-0207

thanks-dan

I did that conversion. The front passenger air shock on Muphy, the $500 87 T-Wag, would leak overnight, and the car would look drunk the next morning. Eventualy, the air pump gave out completely, so I ended up doing the swap.

If you have the budget, I would buy new struts instead of using junkyard stuff, because you don't know how good the junkyard struts are; they may be bad. If you don't have $$$ for new pull complete strut assembleys for all four wheels. If you do have the $$$, go to the boneyard, and pull the following:

Springs and top brackets for the front, and springs / mounting brackets for the back. If you like a firmer ride with better handling, pull the front springs / strut assembly from an RX sedan / coupe if there is one in the yard. They're stiffer than the standard wagon front springs. Do not pull the backs from that car though, as they are not as stiff as the wagon.

When you go to the yard, bring a suspension spring compressor and a pry bar with you. It will make your task a heck of a lot easier. I tried it without, and lets just say I learned my lesson.

PS. If you want to be adventurous, I hear you can use fornt springs from an 87 - 89 Honda Accord on the back of the GL / Loyale wagons. I haven't done it though, and I would search the forum for more opinions or pro's / con's on that before deciding.

gentelmen-thanks so much for your advice and help. all is appreciated.

ps. i belong to many car clubs and participate in several forums. this is my first venture here and it has been a very nice experience, thank you.

so long as the airbags on the struts arent leaking usually they leak at the nylon lines where they meet the junctions. the o rings leak, sometimes simply wiggling the line will make it stop. try some suilicone spray or pb blaster to rejuvinate the o-rings.

you will find o rings at the tops of the struts and at the compressor junction itself inside the driver's fender.

in some instance you can double up the o rings.

some of this is not permanent fixes but it will get you by until replacing the suspension, at leas to keep the compressof from bugging out. if the compressor runs constantly the alternator wont like it