Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'02 OBW, ~82k.

Within the last few thousand miles I have noticed that my fuel pump seems to be getting a bit louder when it first 'primes' the system on a cold start. It's a deep whirring, almost grinding noise. Once it's warm it does the standard few second whistle. Happens on full and empty tank, although it seems to be a bit louder on an empty tank (as i would expect).

Fuel filter replaced about 20k ago, I suppose I'll try replacing it again to see if that helps.

Any other thoughts, is my pump heading south?

Thanks!

I'd try changing the fuel filter again too, with oem is possible, since a lot of stuff could get in there in 20k miles. It also might be that your fuel pressure is bleeding down when the vehicle is off. I have noticed that right after changing the fuel filter or releasing pressure on the fuel system, the fuel pump is a lower pitch sound and is much more noticeable. When the pressure is up, it's quieter and a higher pitch sound.

Next time you the low grindy noise when turning key from acc to run, wait a few seconds, go back to acc, then to run again and do that a few times. See if the pump sound then goes to the higher pitch sound. If so I suspect the fuel pressure is bleeding down when vehicle sits.

Oh also sometimes I hear air bubbles in there too; it might sound like grinding?

I had a noisey fuel pump once. It never affected the car. You may want to throw a fuel pressure gauge on the car just to check the pump.

Are you sure your not hearing air bubbles in the heater core? How does one hear air bubbles in a fuel system?

nipper

Yes a pressure and volume test could be good too.

I hear air bubbles sometimes after changing the fuel filter. I cycle the key from acc to run a dozen times or so waiting a few seconds in run to cycle the pump. I think as the fuel filter's air gets replaced with fuel, the air bubbles back into the fuel tank? Usually it's not too much but it sounds bubbly to me.