Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale Suspension

OK, my son picked up a nice auto, 4wd, 92 Loyale wagon and he wants to give it a little lift without a lot of messing around (no space or time). Does anyone know of any later year struts that will fit in without scaring the mechanic and still give a little more clearance? I tried to search the board but didn't find anything that applied or made sense. Thanks.

honda accord springs can be used on the back to pick it up some.... but I know nothing about it. There is a guy who just discovered this and installed them, but his name is escaping me at this moment.. the thread should be in the first page or two here, he is still in the process of finishing his conversion up.

EDIT

ZRX Doug, thread title "stiffer springs on a loyale?"

honda accord springs can be used on the back to pick it up some.... but I know nothing about it. There is a guy who just discovered this and installed them, but his name is escaping me at this moment.. the thread should be in the first page or two here, he is still in the process of finishing his conversion up.

EDIT

ZRX Doug, thread title "stiffer springs on a loyale?"

Yeah and there was another guy in Australia who did this and the lower spring seats of BOTH sides blew off cause of the extra load. ZRXDoug is going to try to cut one coil off. Should still put the back up as high as it can go without lift. Loyale2.7 Used springs from a Ford Tempo on the front of his H6 GL to accomodate the heavier engine. Not sure if he got any lift but if you did that on a 4cyl you might get some.

Other wise you Could try to track down some Original OEM style 85,86 GL struts with the adjustable spring setup. From a Wrecker I bet you could get a set of used ones. But New they are almost impossible to find. I've found one set of fronts but never a set of rears in 4 years lookin. Of course I am always diggin for bargains, If you had real money to spend it might be a bit easier to find em.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks but I was hoping there was a unit that could just bolt in I didn't want to get into a lot of jury rigging. I did try searching but all the changes require too much modification. Does anyone know of a source of compatible parts from other manufacturers?

Hey man, How much clearence does she have right now? About 7/12" from the rear end? Because mine is pretty high and it's stock! I'm sorry i don't know of a way. I wouldent mind adding a little lift too! Like 1/12 to 2" but i don't know how to do it with out messin with the strut!:confused:

Later, Tom...........

Crocodial dundee proud owner of:

1992 Loyale 4WD wagon AKA "Rainforest adventure vehicle"

2401975_75_full.jpg

2401975_69_full.jpg

2401975_70_full.jpg

Thanks but I was hoping there was a unit that could just bolt in I didn't want to get into a lot of jury rigging. I did try searching but all the changes require too much modification. Does anyone know of a source of compatible parts from other manufacturers?

The 85-86 4wd GL struts are the only *bolt in* strut that offers the ability to lift the car. Even then it's only about a 1 1/2 inches. Beilieve me, you're teenager has plenty of clearance to find trouble already, he won't need more.

Edit: I guess you didn't say teenager I just guessed

I've never been a big fan of of suspension lifting (and I grew up in the era of shackles & air shocks:Flame: ). Yeah, you get the looks by lifting, but the car loses the driving stability that you can only get with a good center of gravity. These cars are too light (IMO) to get too crazy with excessive height.

I would recommend getting a "natural" lift thru tires. An 80 series (common and cheap) might do the trick. You may be surprised at the all-around improvement in looks and performance.

If this is not satisfactory, I would try to find the 85-86 adjustables. I'd feel better about running those since they were designed for these cars. I'd personally be careful about any aftermarket suspension mods.

good luck, John

Actually, I was NOT gonna cut my Accord springs to lose some height, that would just make 'em stiffer. The plan is to alter the lower spring mount on the struts to both drop the car a bit more and to remove a LOT of preload from the Honda springs..in my case I wanted a bit more load capacity for towing rather than a height increase.

Sorta been put on hold while I scramble at work trying to cover for a co-worker who just quit. I may have time to get to this sometime before December if I'm really lucky..

:rolleyes: