Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scorpion/King lift springs help please! '00obw w/pics!

Hi, I'm hoping someone who has used Scorpion/King Springs KSFR-32 lift/raised springs can help me out. King Springs and RenickMotorsports both show these should work on an '00 Outback.

However, the top of the spring, where it goes to the upper spring seat, seems too small diameter. It does not fit in the upper spring seat like the OEM spring does. It's about 6" dia. The OEM spring is about 6.75" dia. Has anyone else had this experience or have any suggestions on how to proceed?

KSFR32toptoosmall1.jpgKSFR32toptoosmall2.jpg

It seems like it might still work, it's just the spring won't be sitting in the outer perimeter of the seat (shown here without rubber piece):

KSFR32toptoosmall3.jpg

Other info:

I also have KSFR-26 for Outback ~96. The top diameter on these seems about right (6.75"), though I'm not sure why it's 'flattened'. But these are supposed to be for my '96 not my '00:

KSFR26top1.jpg

Saw II spring compressor:

compressor1.jpg

Well I put one together to see how it looks. You can see the spring doesn't really sit in the outer groove of the upper spring seat, but it seems like it might be OK? The King Springs catalog also shows these springs for Forester 99-01 so maybe that has different upper spring seats?

These springs must have a high rate, it was difficult to compress it enough to get the nut started on the strut.

RHsmalldia1.jpgRHsmalldia2.jpg

Well I put one together to see how it looks. You can see the spring doesn't really sit in the outer groove of the upper spring seat, but it seems like it might be OK? The King Springs catalog also shows these springs for Forester 99-01 so maybe that has different upper spring seats?

These springs must have a high rate, it was difficult to compress it enough to get the nut started on the strut.

RHsmalldia1.jpgRHsmalldia2.jpg

that doesn't look safe. my guess would be that you got the wrong parts.. it happens.

not that i know anything.

OK thanks for the info. It definitely doesn't look right. The confusing thing is the part # on the spring matches the part # listed in the King Springs catalog for an '00 Outback Wagon.

Only thing I can think (other than mislabeled part/wrong application) is maybe in Australia the Outbacks have smaller diameter upper spring seats, like maybe from a Impreza or something. These same springs are listed for Forester as well.

OK thanks for the info. It definitely doesn't look right. The confusing thing is the part # on the spring matches the part # listed in the King Springs catalog for an '00 Outback Wagon.

Only thing I can think (other than mislabeled part/wrong application) is maybe in Australia the Outbacks have smaller diameter upper spring seats, like maybe from a Impreza or something. These same springs are listed for Forester as well.

i suppose it's possible that they fit UP TO 2000 which would make it fit a 99 which possibly has smaller spring diameters.

maybe get a set for a 2001-2004?

Ah OK thanks! So it's forester upper spring seats that are the ticket. It would have been nice if King Springs or Renick would have mentioned that...

edit: Oh hey when you got your alignment done, did you need fastcam bolts or were the stock camber bolts adequate?

Ah OK thanks! So it's forester upper spring seats that are the ticket. It would have been nice if King Springs or Renick would have mentioned that...

edit: Oh hey when you got your alignment done, did you need fastcam bolts or were the stock camber bolts adequate?

stock was just fine...I've had zero problems with alignment for a few years now...If you more than 2" of height then you might have more issues..

the top of the spring, where it goes to the upper spring seat, seems too small diameter. It does not fit in the upper spring seat like the OEM spring does. It's about 6" dia. The OEM spring is about 6.75" dia. Has anyone else had this experience or have any suggestions on how to proceed?

It seems like it might still work, it's just the spring won't be sitting in the outer perimeter of the seat (shown here without rubber piece):

Other info:

I also have KSFR-26 for Outback ~96. The top diameter on these seems about right (6.75"), though I'm not sure why it's 'flattened'. But these are supposed to be for my '96 not my '00:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62594

Subaru part number 20323FA000

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=2917&highlight=

Both these links may be helpful to you. Any of us who either lower or raise our 2000-2004 Legacy/Outbacks run into this issue because the tops of the new springs are designed to fit them "foreign" Legacies.