Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22t into an ea81?

I have read the ea2ej pdf a good dozen times so far, but was wondering if anyone has put in an ej22t (or ej20t) into an ea81? I know suberdave has done it on an ea82, but I want to find out any potential hiccups/things to look for.

I will have the entire donor car, so hopefully this will help.

Also, what are your thoughts on running the ej22t without a hood scoop? I was thinking of trying to reroute the chimney so it vents outside of the engine compartment, but do not know how feasible/reasonable that is.

While I am at it, will I be able to add power steering to my ea81 using the turbo legacy bits? I have tired multiple searches on adding power-steering, but haven't produced what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

shouldnt be all that hard. should be about the same as doing a 2.2 swap. but you will have to find a turbo EA81 crossmember or you will have to cut and weld yours for the uppipe.

the hood scoop on a turbo legacy is just for the turbo. there is no intercooler. so i think it would be just fine without a scoop.

any other questions just ask...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

I have an EJ20SC in mine, I have SOHC EJ22 heads on an EJ20T motor.

The SOHC heads are 40mm narrower each and it allows it to fit between the framerails.

DOHC heads are just too wide without modification.

All the EJ stuff swaps and plugs together, look for whats in the parts department and lego it all together.

I still think that would be an insane project with a lightly modded ej22t in a little hatch with awd.:slobber::burnout:

Well I have a little wagon that is going to get a lightly modded ej22t in it with hopefully awd if I can find a 5mt to mate to it. ;) I am stoked for this project.

What is your projected timeline for this project? I have been planning a similar swap into my turbo coupe and any insight you can give me would be awesome!

Well I hope to have the motor in by July 1, with the wiring to follow afterwards.

However I am most likely going to swap in a different tranny at the same time, and swap in a steering rack with power steering too.

I am also hoping to keep the A/C. So... I will have to see. But July 1 is the goal to have it actually all bolted in.

I will be glad to share whatever I can, and I am sure will be asking many more questions before this is over.

I still think that would be an insane project with a lightly modded ej22t in a little hatch with awd.:slobber::burnout:

Yes, yes it would...

Calculated ET for the weight of a hatch with 200awhp is a 12.8-13.1 but it will vary by track and driver...