Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 82T. No Love?

yes there are people that like them and have good results.

the problem is mostly age and limitatoins of the engine. with the age...nearly everything on any car needs attention, with the extra heat and abuse of a turbo they need it more. head gaskets, water pump, coolant hoses everywhere...throttle body, heater core inlet, heater core outlet, turbo return coolant line, turbo inlet coolant line and number smaller lines up front as well as the radiator lines, caps and the radiator itself...ideally all of that stuff and the turbo oil lines all need to be in great shape. turbo's overheat and blow headgaskets quick. not too mention turbo's need replacing and cause their own problems as well. keep everything in good shape and don't push the limits and they can be good cars.

next is the limitations. start increasing power and you run into more problems. first..there's that long list of parts that are nearly 20 years old now. if you start looking into major and expensive mods for more power...it's easier just to upgrade to another engine that is newer, has more availability and can handle it.

I love mine but you have to be fanatical about the maintainence. Pretty much if you buy a new one tear it down and reseal it with all new belts, hoses, Check the pulleys, replace the thermostat. You never want to have one overheat. I personally have had pretty good luck with the 2 I've owned. You just gotta stay ahead on the maintance. Oh yeah and know the limits. Don't expect to build it into a *raging hot-rod* to quote a no longer with us member.

Don't expect to build it into a *raging hot-rod* to quote a no longer with us member.

Hee-Heee!

That being said, if you throw a lot of preventive maintenance at it, you could turn it into a raging hot rod. If you have searched, you probably already know this though.

i personally like the ea82t engines. i know them in and out and they are easy to work on. they are also pretty torquey. mine is pretty quick when it wants to be.

dont get me wrong, they are very tempermental, they are like girls, very easily angered when neglected.my first engine popped cause of improper storage and rusted rings, the second one started to go when i made the mistake of letting the local meineke install a steering rack and some one knifed the top radiator hose to try to force me into more labor, then it finally went after another hose ripped in half on the high way and cracked the heads. the engine i am running now isnt top notch either, but it will work until i start working agian and get the new one built. basically think junk yard engine right now.

To much money and effort for little return:-\

+1

My High-Comp EA82 was anything but reliable. Perhaps if I had a low-comp one, I wouldn't be too disappointed.

On the other hand, my EA81T, the pushrod predecessor to the EA82T has been nothing but reliable. Yet to leave me stranded. Just got a noisy lifter.