Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Key stuck in Ignition 1980 BRAT

They're still available??? I'd seriously consider coughing up the dough to get that one then.

If the key's stuck in it, then you've seriously got little other choice. You obviously can't trace cut a key that's stuck in the ignition. I dunno if the key you have is the original, but if it's not, there's pretty much no way to get a keycode. I've never seen any GenI or GenII that had a VIN that worked on Subarunet.

I'm thinking about getting one myself now if that's not the only one left. Mine's finicky as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

there may be an easy solution:

first, is this an automatic or a manual? i'm not familiar with 80's brats, but the later soobs have a mechanism that prevents the key from being removed from an automatic unless it's in Park. often it's just not seated right, push the gear selector all the way into park, jiggle it, play with it and it'll release.

your EA81 brat probably isn't like that, so there's one other possibility. is the steering wheel locked? yank on the wheel really hard left or right and jiggle it as well while giving it some good stank. try removing your key while doing that.

if your key is warn so much that it came out while in drive, that's not a big deal, they do that all the time. that's not a problem with the lock cylinder, it's usually just a warn key. save that key, they often work in multiple ignitions/vehicles when they're warn that much. it may just work in your next one if you do have to get another lock cylinder (done that a few times myself and i've never had a lock cylinder fail).

I have one a wee bit worse in my daily driver 86 Brat - Sno Worries

The key is stuck in and will not turn to the off position!!

It will still turn to the start position.

I hid a toggle switch up under the dash

that turns the ignition on and off.

Simple matter of opening the connection at the main pink plug.

You could do this as a temp/permanent fix or as a

antitheft measure.