Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 wagon towing question

I am inheriting a 79 fwd manual wagon. (actually its my girlfriend who is inheriting it, I am inheriting the work on it). It has sat for about 5 years, but was running when stored. I need to tow it about 400 miles. I know I couldnt tow a modern subaru on all fours, but can I on this wagon if I put it in nuetral? I have a tow bar I can adapt, so am hoping to do it that way rather than rent a dolly. This will be an ongoing project to get it road worthy again, and I am sure I will be back with a lot more questions. I will probably have to put new tires on it before towing, anything else I should be aware of? Thanks for all your help, have two subarus already (90 justy and 97 OBS) but this beast will be a real learning experience. I dont even know what engine or tranny is in it.

Thanks for the quick response 75subie, thats what I was hoping to hear. How hard are parts to find for these older vehicles? I ask because there are a couple junked 79s out in the pasture too, tried to find someone local (wyoming) who wanted em, but no one seemed to. So I am thinking I will take what might be needed or valuable off them and salvage what I can. Probably front clip and maybe some interior stuff, anything else in demand? (Told you I would have lots of questions:grin: )

maintainence parts aren`t too hard to find, but straight, clean body panels are (and lights). also any good interior panels are worth keeping. any trim pieces or add ons (alloys, special bumpers, ect.) the motors and tranny's rarely go bad to the point of no return.

please post some pics!!