Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto Transmission Pan Gasket on 93 Impreza AWD???

I am thinking to do a transmission pan drop and replace the filter and o ring. I went to the local dealer to buy the pan gaskey, transmission filter and o ring, but the parts guy told me there is no pan gasket for this transmission, I will have to use liquid gasket comes from a tube.

Is this sound right? Anyone done this before?

Thanks

there is a tsb (#01-143-960) from 1996 that addresses recommended sealants and adheasives. for the transmissions:

Application: transmission pan mating surface (4EAT without a paper gasket)

Recommendation: Threebond 1217B

Equivalents: 3M T-3 Silicone (black) #08670 or Loctite/Permatex Ultra-Grey #599

I used the ultra grey for my oil pan when i resealed it, and have been very pleased with the results. it was available at pep boys.

they do make some mention of a gasket, but they may have eliminated it in favor of a liquid gasket...

I remember reading that the change from gasket to sealant was mid-year in 1995 and that if a gasket was used originally, it should be replaced with another gasket. I believe that was in another TSB, but not sure now. Also, I agree with the idea that the filter screen can catch only large debris and doesn't need to be replaced in normal operation.

Ah, the RTV game. As far as which gasket sauce is best, the "ultra" types of whichever color you like best seem to work wonders, but for the more heretical, Hondabond seems to work VERY well. Also in the realm of less soupy silicone sauce is an RTV avalible through Cummins (the diesel engine manufacturer) that is excellent, and if it can keep an insanely high boosted diesel running wide open from leaking, then it gets a gold star in my book.

This post was probably absolutely unnecessary, but i felt like typing.

We commonly use RTV in place of transmission pan gaskets (and many other applications too) in our shop with excellent results. Make sure your surfaces are clean and dry before applying the sealant, and follow the manufacturers directions. I've probably used every 'color' & 'type', all with excellent results.

I decide to take off the pan. FYI, I do have a paper gasket on the pan. It appear to be in good shape. Now what can I do? Anyone have a part # for this gasket? If I can not get the gasket, I guess I will have to reuse the old gasket??!!

Thanks a lot.

NAPA has usually listed paper gaskets even for cars that came with RTV sealed joints. Probably most other automotive stores will as well. I prefer a gasket on an automatic transmission, because many of them drip for a long time as the oil trapped in the torque converter slowly finds it's way out. If the oil drip goes across the gasket area, it will prevent getting a good seal.

• 1 year later...