Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, havnt posted here in a while but ive been reading around. Anyways my Legacy needs a new engine. The EJ18 in it has developed some wicked noisy lifters and is squirting oil out of more holes than i can count.

I could fix all the problems with it, but it really is cheaper and more fun to slam a new motor into the car. I have 2 engines available and i dont know which one to stick in. Both are the same value and both are about the same on fuel economy. Parts for both are also readily available here.

So which would you want and why?

EJ20............................................EJ22

history known...............................unknown and has sat for 6 months

Quad cam 16v..............................DOHC 16v

MPFI...........................................MPFI

Coil on plug ignition.......................single coil ignition

148hp @ 6600.............................136hp @ 5500

128lbft @ 5200............................138lbft @ 4200

7500max rpm...............................6500max rpm

EJ20 donor will need re-wiring as the motor is coming out of an auto transmission car.

EJ22 donor car comes with DUAL RANGE transmission. :headbang:

I'd take the EJ20. Torque is fun, but HP is funner! Especially when you don't have it :(

The EJ22 is reliable guys, but there's no reason why the EJ20 wouldn't be just as much so. It's not an inferior engine. Add to that he knows the history of the EJ20 and not the EJ22.

And EJ20 parts are probably more available to him than EJ22 parts. EJ20s are common as dirt in Europe, while EJ22 parts are common as dirt here in the US.

Lol new zealands still down here by Australia. And sorry to rain on the parade but - My EJ18 threw a rod at 3000rpm crusing home this afternoon.

Oil light started flickering and rather than be stuck on a back road with no way of calling for help i soldiered on to the main highway. Just after hitting state highway 2, the number 4 con rod made a dramatic dash for freedom. :mad:

I drove another mile with smoke, oil and coolant spraying everywhere to the nearest gas station then called a mate to tow me home.

Lesson learned : If your lifters are making noise, and theres plenty of oil in your engine - chances are the oil pump is about to go.

Going to look at buying a new car tomorrow. This legacy was awesome fun but for the price of a new used engine i can pick up some new wheels to get me to work next week.

Will keep ya all updated! :-\

Off to pick up a Holden Calibra today, this will be my new daily driver. I havnt decided the Subarus fate yet... Anyhoo heres a carnage pic 'cos i know you guys love em. The engine will probably be stripped so i can figure out what killed it. Im assuming boxers arent supposed to throw rods at 3000rpm :dead:

xplodzord.JPG

I'd throw the EJ22 in. It's really an easy engine to replace, the hardest part is getting the bellhousing to slide apart if the dowel pins have corrosion on them. Throw some oil down the sparkplug holes of the replacement engine, and use a ratchet to turn it over a few times.

Set aside a weekend and an engine lift and you'll have the legacy back on the road no problem.

Europe? Did I miss something? Has New Zealand moved or something?

Wow. Talk about being burned out. Not only did I think keltik was in Europe, I didn't even realize what you people were talking about for a minute or two.

I need a vacation.

Subarus can most definitely throw rods. Seen it happen plenty o' times.

If you decide to keep the Legacy, I still say go with the EJ20.

We did get the EJ20 here in America in the 02-05 WRX. The EJ205 specifically.

His is not an EJ205 though. I believe the EJ20 he's looking at is an EJ204, a high-output nonturbo engine. I believe. Could be wrong about the code. Regardless, with the HP ratings he posted, it's definitely a nonturbo engine.

Yeah, the ej20 has been around for a long time. The one in particular he's speaking of a non turbo dohc, but it has the soil on plug ignition system, which to keep is going to need a complete rewire.

The ej22 would be simpler, and equally as reliable. In regaurds to the two blocks, the only difference is in the bore size, they are both open deck blocks. Sharing the same stroke.

This whole ordeal is further example of why subaru didn't offer us the legacy with an ej18, big car, little motor, and hard driving don't mix.

In the finest tradition of motorhead neanderthals I would recommend going for the higher displacement engine:grin: Of course I know beans about the compatibility issues for your Legacy so I defer to the experts on this board.

The 2.0 that came with the 2002 WRX was a World Rally Championship displacement requirement (maximum allowed). Note how quickly Subaru switched to a 2.5 WRX. I love my 2.0 WRX but it's a boat anchor under 2,000 rpm:mad:

My 2.2 Legacy is positively torquey at low rpm's compared to my 2.0 WRX. O.K. I know the 2.0 WRX is a low compression engine (for the Turbo) but I think you'll appreciate the low-end torque a lot more in normal everyday driving than the horsepower at the top end in a Legacy.

The unknown history of the 2.2 is worrisome but they are good engines and can take a thrashing:rolleyes:

Now, a moment of silence for your valiant Subie engine that gave its all to get you home...

The last post.

Many Thanks to the awesome team at USMB. This board has helped me fix heaps of problems with my Subaru, it truly is an awesome resource. Anyways i was offered a new car for an almost unbeleivable price so i took it.

Me legacy was a great car to thrash around in, but it just wasnt worth the hassle of repairing again, so i have passed it on to a new owner who will hopefully ressurect it.

Anyways the legacy has been replaced with an Opel/Holden/Vauxhall. So its time for me to start learning to speak GM.

Calibra.JPG

Thanks for all your help with this post guys, ill be back when a nice EA series coupe shows up lol. :headbang:

Im going to kick around www.clubcalibra.com for a while and learn about this thing.

Cheers

Ben