Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid things you have done fixing or driving your subaru?

Guest ShawnW

>Drove my '80 hatch for more than a year without changing the oil and only checking it if the car was hard to start. The car basically had no rear brakes and one of the CV joints would slip periodically, it finally blew. >On a rainy morning in Nov. totalled my '90 Loyale Turbo and did major damage to a brand new Olds intrigue after losing it in a place that someone loses it every time it rains(I've got AWD, no problem. WRONG!). >Cracking one of my new PIAA's driving across a small amount of sand. >On a gravel road coming around a turn sideways and finding a semi taking up the whole road and heading towards me. This was in my wife's leased Outback Ltd. I've got more but I've blocked them out.

While doing a way to fast turn around while offroading, I parked my old '83 wagon with the back end stuck up on top of a stump. It was sort of ramp shaped and went right under the bumper and gas tank. Had to get pulled off the stump and dented the tank but it didn't leak (or explode.) Tried to cross a creek on a hastily constructed "bridge" made or logs and rocks. The logs scooted inward and the car was left hanging over the creek with all four wheels off the ground. Had to get pulled out of that one too. The seats in my latest car were a bit torn up, so before I put seat covers on, I did a little performance and comfort enhancement. Stuffed chucks of foam and old socks inside the seat and back upholstry and made my own race style seating for those high-g turns. Almost already forgot this bit of stupidity. Last night I left out two of my favorite tires mounted on white spoke rims... and some SOB stole them right out of my back yard! I hope they put 'em on a 4wd and shred their transfer case! Bad, bad karma!

Guest Jack in Norfolk

I remembered another one. I used to go to school in Rocky Mount NC (it sucked). I ws in the subaru with some friends and we went to check out a mud trail through the woods. To get on it, you turned oof the road and crossed over a deep ditch then into the woods. To get across the drainage ditch, you drove over a pile of dirt that had pushed over a pipe and made the ground level in that one place. If you missed that one place you were in a deep ditch Well shortly into the trip, there was a big tree fallen across the path, so i decided to back out. I backed out pretty quickly and forgot all about crossing the ditch. all of a suden, the three of us were sitting, looking at the sky out of the windshield and all of our necks hurt. I had backed straight into the ditch and the car seemed to be just a few degrees shy of sitting at a 90 degree angle. I thought for sure that I had broked the back window but when i looked back there all i could see was grass and mud pressed up against it, no shattered glass. I was positive that we would have to get a truck to get us out. But i put it in 4 low and the sube popped right out and we were on the road again before any cops showed up with stupid questions. -Jack

Guest Subaru Junkie

Oh gosh, i have loads of em... The only one that sticks in my head is this.... I was waiting in the turning lane to make a U-Turn about 5 cars behind a red light, and figured i waited long enough. Even though i noticed a cop about 3 cars ahead of me... i didnt worry cause i was in the turning lane, and he was going straight. So i thre my car ('79 DL Wagon at the time) into 4WD and pulled a U-ey over the center median and rally'd around and pulled into my favorite record store. Well about 15minutes of browsing i saw a officer walk into the store and ask the cashier "who owns the yellow Subaru outside". After i heard that, i knew he was there for me, and walked up and said... "lets go." :) he just did a background check and made sure i didnt have any warrents and let me go. -Brian

Guest remarcable

I haven't yet managed to do anything *really* stupid with my 99 outback wagon, however I did end up being chased by two rednecks in a HUGE lifted Ford F-something or other for about 30 minutes. They were pissed at me over something I said at a fast food drive-through I think, and they started following me. I attempted to lose them without attracting too much police attention on the streets, but there was traffic and that was not working. So I took off to the dirt roads in the center of town (horse district) and although they had a much, much larger engine, the truck just could not match my AWD or low center of gravity on the muddy clay roads. They FLIPPED their truck trying to follow me around a 90 degree turn at 50MPH. Idiots.

I remembered something to add. A long time ago, I owned a 71 Subaru(bought it new). Anyway, I was at a gas station and decided to air up the spare tire, it was located under the hood but next to the right front fender. As I was about finished I saw a good looking girl pulling out of a store next door. I slammed the hood and took off after her. The next thing I saw was not the girl or the street but the hood in my face. Since the hood hadn't latched, it flew up and took out the front windshield. Had a hard time explaining that one to the wife, think I left out the part about the girl.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove through 6 in snow-drifts at 80 MPH to pass all the sane people in an '85 XT Turbo. I drove down a snowmachine trail in the same car. That wasn't stupid, but my dad trying to follow me in a Volvo was. Raced a Camaro Z28 on the highway with my '87 RX. Passed him on a straightaway (I'm running 12.5 PSI boost) and kept my foot flat in a corner at nearly 100 MPH. Nothing bad happened, exept, perhaps damage to the Camaro driver's ego.

Guest Subaru Junkie

I was traveling at around 55 down some Highway, and my friends wife was in the passenger seat, and she hit the Pushbutton 4WD on the side of the lever, and i saw the "4WD" light on my dash and quickly threw it back into FWD when she said... "Oh, that isnt OverDrive???" I guess some people dont know what that "4WD" is next to that button. -Brian

• 4 years later...

While stationed in England, I was in my '82 GL Wagon, late for bowling. I was on a 2-lane that changed into a 4-lane. It was dark, and I saw the the new lane coming up. Remember in the UK, you drive on the left. I was following someone who obviously didn't know I was late for bowling. Anyhow, I eagerly anticipated the extra lane, so I could pass, and then I saw the lane coming into view! I signaled and started easing over to the right into the new lane - but oh sh*t, it wasnt the extra lane. It was a turning lane for a crossroad!!! I swerved to the left going about 65 and smacked the curb with the right front wheel. Took out about 5 road signs, one hitting the top of the car, right above the windshield... I ended up on the left side of the road, as though I had just pulled over... my hands white-knuckeded to the steering wheel. Not knowing that the impact with the curb had driven the driveshaft into the tranny, I started it up and tried to put it in gear. Well, it fired up, but didnt go any where. To finally end this story.... I had to leave that car in a junkyard and come back to the states without it.... and never did have to pay for the signs.

Whoa... now THIS is a classic thread.

I got a couple stories of stupidity...

After replacing an automatic trans, I wondered why the car wouldn't move when in gear and got pretty pissed, thinking about how I had possibly just installed a junk transmission. That is, until I realized that I hadn't put in any trans fluid.

Had a rear strut tower rust out in my first wagon I ever owned, hit a bump and POW, the strut and a big chunk of the unibody busted into the backseat. Stopped the car, surveyed the damage, decided which junkyard to call in the morning, then drove the car the rest of the way home (1 mile).

I can relate to Paul's oil cap story. At the first Pine Barrens meet I went to, I stopped halfway there and topped off my oil. And yes, I DID put the cap on- but did it lock...? Got up to the meet and went to show someone my custom intake, and lo and behold, no oil cap, and a big splatter of oil on the bottom of the hood. I made a makeshift cap out of duct tape and ran the trail. Later in the day... who else but Paul happened to have a spare oil cap that I used. Now I carry a spare around, just in case...

Ah well...my story is the classic trying to start the engine while the ratchet is still attached to the front pulley while working on timing belts. There may be more though. I pick it up in Maine tomorrow- about 250 miles in a yet unproven car:eek:

Potential for hilarity:D

-Louis-

'91 Loyale 4wd 5spd wagon

I was in "stupid mode" one night(about 10 yrs ago)and was going down the highway in my 1981 Subaru station wagon 2wd--my first Subaru ever-- all it had for an exhaust was the y- pipe to the resignator and if I got on it and shifted into the next gear--a big ol' glow would come out from under it(backfire that is!)and what I didn't notice the last time I did it--that there was a State Trooper passing me going the opposite direction. Soon as he had seen that, he turned around and had come after me--I went into "stupid mode" and off we went!! We went about 2 miles and come to a 90 degree turn which I took at about 85 miles per hour. And then I kept going for about another 15 miles, by this time now there is 5 State Troopers behind me and finally they ran me off the road. After they had cuffed and stuffed me, they took me back to the station and were asking me why I did it and they told me that they were amazed at how fast I was going in a Subaru station wagon. They said my top speed clocked out at 110 mph! They said I was going so fast that they were setting up a road block that I had passed BEFORE they had even had it set up! They said that a week before that-they were chasing a Dodge Daytona and it only topped out at 102 mph. Now 4 tickets later I got bailed out then a month and a half later went to court for the tickets there were supposed to be four(as just stated) 1) for doing 85mph in a 35mph 2) passing on the right 3) driving to endanger 4) trying to elude State Police

Something was on my side that day because only one ticket came up---passing on the right--the other three were lost! Cost me $50.00 for that ticket and $550.00 for the damage that I had done to the police cruiser :grin: Fun ride huh!?!?

• Like 1

When I did my Auto to 5 speed conversion..

I got the clutch all put together, engine in.. went to turn it over by hand just to make sure everything was lined up.. Only made it about half way around and I heard a metallic thump.. engine wouldn't turn anymore.. turned it the other way. made it about half way around.. thump, engine wouldn't turn anymore.

Turns out, when I had finished putting the clutch together and pulld the rachet out, the socket had stayed on the bolt and I hadn't noticed. Had to pull the engine back out to find all this out.. what a pain. But I am sooo glad I turned it over by hand and not with the key.. that could have been messy:mad:

I got a good one for ya. It was last x-mas and I had finally talked my oldschool (dad) into goin baja'n with me to see what it's all about and to show him what a soob can do. It was me, oldschool, my bro(Volcom_Don), milesfox, and Roneece, and we were in two soobs (my four door, and Roneece's white wagon) and my oldschool had his Dodge Dakota 2wd. We were all baja'n and havin fun when we decided to switch rides. Now Milesfox was drivin my car and I was riding with the oldschool and gettin high as a kite when I look over and see my car with the hazard lights on, plowed into a freeking snowbank that had to have been three feet high. Angry and curious as to what had happened we stopped to check it out. Milesfox tells me he noticed my car was getting hot (if I know miles he meant OVERHEATED) he hits a little snow and it covers the windshield, makes his way into some tractor ruts and parks my shizz form 35mph to 0 in this deep snowbank. Roneece comes to rescue my car with his wagon and also gets stuck. When we finally get him unstuck and hooked up to my car I 'm so mad I can't even see straight.But I wasn't about to let milesfox drive again. N E Ways he pulls me out and I totally forgot about hitting the brakes. Well about this time I park my car into Roneece's radiator. Talk about some dumb shizz. Now that I look back on it it is really funny. I guess were all entitled to a roneece moment or two.

I meant for this to go on the thread about stupid things you have done while driving/fixing a soob. I didnt realize that I had hit new thread and not post reply.

well, it couldnt hurt his car anymore than power sliding into the hitch end of a boat trailer.

check out the latest from corky:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8004

and:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7969

hey, i can burn you a cd of DAFT PUNK: HOMEWORK while i am here

and the time josh deeboed driver on my soob baja'n, ran into some corn and busted my mirror and marker lites, and then got stuck. we got out, i drove and got stuck. i made josh pull me out with his legacy, and my car got its passive aggressive revenge by josh's legacy radiator leaking after that.

and he crunched the front of the RX on your sedan. that sedan has a thing for the front of white soobs!

good thing mine's BLUE!

Guest subu luvr

that's it! I've HAD it.....

im moving to indiana, i would probably de-age 20 years hangin around with you guys, i miss that stuff...

keep up the good work, its good to know someone is enjoying themselves somewhere :)