Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater blower missing speeds replace or repair post

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.k , so I don't have to dive tooooo far into it. My 81 wagon EA81 blower doesn't do anything until you hit the last setting. Then he dash lights drop to about half intensity. It still doesn't run though. Thoughts?

It sounds like the motor is stalled to me. Try disconnecting the blower motor connection and then turn on the power switch. If the problem is within the motor the lights will work normally and not dim now.

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled the blower motor. Darn thing must have gotten of kilter. The white plastic wheel had rubbed against the housing. Cleaned and scrubbed it up. Lubricated it, and she whirls like a champ. However, it only runs on high. Arrrgh. I don't want to dive into that resistor block thingy.

• 4 weeks later...
Pulled the blower motor. Darn thing must have gotten of kilter. The white plastic wheel had rubbed against the housing. Cleaned and scrubbed it up. Lubricated it, and she whirls like a champ. However, it only runs on high. Arrrgh. I don't want to dive into that resistor block thingy.

possibly this weekend i am getting ready to check into my blower motor to see what all the noise is about. would spraying electrical cleaner on teh connections be a bad thing.

how do i go about cleaning and lubricating the blower motor

Ben

possibly this weekend i am getting ready to check into my blower motor to see what all the noise is about. would spraying electrical cleaner on teh connections be a bad thing.

how do i go about cleaning and lubricating the blower motor

Ben

if its a quick-dry type of electronic cleaner, then its fine.

As for the motor.. dive in! electric motors are absurdly simple devices, and easy to figure out once you get inside one. There is a bearing on either end of the axle. I don't know how much good you will do, but it isnt difficult to figure out how to take a motor apart and put it back together.. SOMEtimes there are spring loaded brushes that need four or five hands for you to push them all out of the way, and slip the armature assembly down into it... but I have always managed to do it by myself. There really isn't much explaining to do, IF you can get the motor out and apart. Just dive in.

I know this thread is getting old and long but I wanted to add that on my 87 Brat the resistor block is mounted on the duct above the gas pedal close to the firewall. Not the same as an EA82. My resistor still looks good with no broken coils and very little corrosion. I have no fans speeds at all, fan works when 12v is applied. No current at the switch and the only two relays that I have found identical to the picture in the beginning of the thread both supply current to the headlights. I have taken the fan control out, dropped the trim piece under the dash and pulled the tray on the passenger side looking for the third relay that would possibly power the fan to no avail. There is a tee shaped relay, I think it is a relay anyways, above the fuse box. It also has a 25 amp fuse pigtailed into it. Could this possible be the fan relay? I was thinking not being it had a 25amp fuse pigtailed into it and the fuse box only has a 15amp for the fan. If not can someone give me another location for this relay on a late model EA81.