Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Solid Axle Wagon (56k Not So Much)

MysteriousXTC

well after about of year of debating and collecting some parts I have finally started my solid axle swap on my 89 gl wagon... when I picked it up, it looked a little something like this, thanks to brad...

th_900a7d62.jpg

As of now the rear is completely torn apart, did some cosmetic work to the quarter panel and the solid axle is rolled under getting ready to be fitted...

th_DirtyWagonSideRear.jpg

While this project is far from finished and I still have many unanswered questions, I am very excited that its becoming more of a reality...

So what I have so far are:

- 5.29 yota axles; weld front and lock right rear

- 3" Rancho Springs

- homade revolver type shackles for rear

- rancho 5000 shocks

- 35" Pro Comp Xterrains

- Sammy Tcase

There are plenty of other things I plan on adding including an EJ22 swap and some crawler gears for the tcase, however my main goal is to get everythign fab'd up and rolling around...

Figured I would just share with the community and get some feedback/advice... Maybe if I find others are interested I will be more motivated to work on it as I have been is a lazy mood as of late, lol...

-caleb

Man, that will be sweet when done!!! What are you using for a frame??? Keep us ALL posted on your progress and be sure to take MANY pics:headbang:

Not really using a frame rather only what the unibody and subframes provide to make mounting points for everything I will need... So far the rear is looking good other than a place to mount the shocks, due to the gas tank; I hope the front will be as kind to me... But i think I may have solved the shock issue as well... Just wont know till I get more fab'n done...

I would have gone with a lock-rite front and a welded rear myself, but it looks like it will turn out to be a kickarse rig.

honestly that welded 3rd will not stay in there very long, I have a spare 5.29 third that is just waiting for a locker, just haven't found one for the right price yet...

yes I am most definately extending my wheelbase, I dont remember what the rough estimate was that I had but it is obviously quite a bit longer...

I am going to try and finish up the leaf mounts this weekend, so long as a friend and I can get a front SAS and rear SOA done on a clients Xterra...

Ok guys I made a little progress on the build, basically got the rear axle all tac'd in place for now, since things are still subject to change... I am in no way try'n to be a perfectionist when it comes to this build, just try'n to create something functional, cheap, and keep everything simple... So please keep that in mind before bashing or criticising... After the STi, bike, school and all other bills I dont have much for this so I am working with what I got...

Tire space uncut vs. cut quarter panel...

th_Uncutfender.jpg th_CutFender.jpg

Front lear mount and fear leaf mount for the rear leaf springs...

th_FrontLeafMount.jpg th_PassRearMount.jpg

Rear Craddle designed to nestle into the frame rails, will host the rear mounts for the rear leaf springs, bumper and possible winch...

th_RearCradle.jpg th_FrameRailMountHole.jpg

th_FrameRailMount.jpg th_SteelPadFrameRail.jpg

Best friend who is 6'7" standing next to wagon

th_BrandonHeight67.jpg th_RearSideprofile.jpg

I am somewhat concerned about the axle width with the tires mounted being far to narrow, however I am going to be purchasing some steelies with far more backspacing and through in some 1.5" wheel spacers, shoul extend the width a good 6 inches...

Of course the monkey with a tape to the rear of the unibody 35.25" from ground level...

th_MonkeyRearHeight.jpg

I'll be very interested to see how well the rear axle mounting holds up...

Can't wait for osme action pics ;):cool:

I know they do not look very strong now, however I think after proerly gusseting everything I think they will be plenty strong...

And once I get the front axle mounted I will go ahead and flex it out with the forklift and post some pics....

Lookin good. The extended wheelbase is going to be sweet!

Are you going to do anything inside the shell to stiffen it up? It looks like the whole shell will be able twist itself with the increased leverage & distance in the back. Any plans on welding in a X brace or roll bar inside? After the forklift pictures I want to see proof all the doors still line up :grin: Can't wait to see this completed!

Lookin good. The extended wheelbase is going to be sweet!

Are you going to do anything inside the shell to stiffen it up? It looks like the whole shell will be able twist itself with the increased leverage & distance in the back. Any plans on welding in a X brace or roll bar inside? After the forklift pictures I want to see proof all the doors still line up :grin: Can't wait to see this completed!

Well I have lifted the rear a couple times testing the revolver shackles and have noticed how much the body wants to flex and twist... Doors? who said anything about doors lol... Suppose they would be nice for winter...

Anyways, I have some 200+ feet of 1.75" that I will use for stiffening and caging... I am certain that will be enough to fix all the flex spots....

Sorry there has not been and update, I really haven't had the time or money to be workin on it right now, I have to order a front axle rebuild kit before I go putting that back together and fabricating it up... Anyways thanks for the support and I hope I can get some mroe done soon and post some pics up...

• 1 month later...
well here is a little update of some destruction, cutting out all of brad's hard work... :eek:

th_100_0270.jpg

before

th_100_0279.jpg

after :Flame:

th_nomas.jpg

th_strut.jpg

m4d l3akz y0:

th_littleleak.jpg

th_Frontunder.jpg

more random pics

th_Frontend.jpg

th_35notread.jpg

th_100_0277.jpg

th_100_0276.jpg

th_100_0275.jpg

th_100_0274.jpg

th_100_0273.jpg

The little tcase that could, soon to be 6.5:1 gears:banana:

th_sammytcase.jpg

looks very nice, good work! Just one hairbrained thought that i had and just HAD to toss it out there for someone more mechanically minded and better than fabbing than myself, but COULD a person use the existing transmission on a soob, put the rear output shaft to the transfer case and drive 2 more axles off of it, making it a 6x6? Might be a long rig doing it this way, but just wondering...

looks very nice, good work! Just one hairbrained thought that i had and just HAD to toss it out there for someone more mechanically minded and better than fabbing than myself, but COULD a person use the existing transmission on a soob, put the rear output shaft to the transfer case and drive 2 more axles off of it, making it a 6x6? Might be a long rig doing it this way, but just wondering...

you *could* BUT

the problem isn't the overall length. you're not changing the distance between the tcase and rear axle. you'd be trying to cram another axle between the tcase and front axle :eek:

only way I can see it working, is if you put ~ 2 feet of shaft between the tranny and tcase.

also, it wouldn't solve the gearing issues that justify putting in a second tcase. because the front diff cannot be regeared, the other 2 would be stuck at 3.90. and because the front diff doesn't run through the tcase, you wouldn't be able to use the second low range.

if you want a 6x6 then you should probably go with rockwells, inwhich case 3 rockwells with bigger tires would outweigh any subaru lol, guess it would give a great low center of gravtiy... 6x6 would be interesting though, hmm...