Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible ignition problem with 78 Brat

I was driving the Brat today and as I was making a turn through a intersection it started backfiring. It did it like 4 or 5 times then it died. I screwed around with it for a few minutes until I noticed my dash lights were not working. So, I checked my fuses and the ignition fuse was blown. This is not the first time this has happened. It did it once before when I was working on it in the garage. I have always suspected something was wrong with the distributor but the only thing besides the cap and rotor that I have replaced in it is the electric pick up. Am I missing something here? Something I am overlooking? Help!:-\

Another problem associated with this. I put my hand up under the dash tonight while driving and the wires on the ignition switch were hot, Real hot! Don't think I will be driving the 78 until I figure out what is going on. I could also dimly see the alternator light starting to come on.

First, did you change the distributor?

As far as I know, a 78 EA71 (non Cali) comes with a points and condenser ignition..

read - no electronic pick up

Next high electrical current does not cause heat per say,

resistance does.

I have 5 Brats at this time and all show signs of this

heating to some degree.

The problem is manifest in the connector to the ignition switch.

It builds resistance due to corrosion, this resistance in turn causes the heat.

I have had one connector melt to the point on needing by passed.

Poke yer head under there and look at the main connector for the ignition (some are pick some are white, all have large diameter wires going in and out.)

Does it show signs of overheating?

Yes, actually it has been having a overheating problem. It really seams to come and go. Last night it was cool and all the sudden it started heating up right before I got home. From what I understand the reason mine has the electronic pickup is due to the fact that is the federal model. No pcv valve on it either. That is just the way it came. Nothing has been changed on it.

Ok I worked on it today. The ignition switch appeared to be going bad. You could reach up behind it and push on it and the Brat would turn off. The screw holding it was not loose. Replaced it with another one I had sitting around. Thank goodness for parts Brats:grin: . I found the reason for the fuse blowing. The fan was wired up by the previous owner to the ignition coil. It was causing a electrical problem. With it hooked up I could actually see the igniton fuse glowing bright red! Now that I took care of that the wires and fuse are staying cool. Just got to keep it running till I get my 85 GL-10 back together and it will be time to tear the 78 down for some major work.