Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine and tranny out.. thx qman

my brother is letting street maintenence take his RUNNING BRAT! I want the drivetrain because its been sittin in the road for the last 3 months and STILL fires up.

please dont let a good EA81 with tranny go to waste

I need to know what to cut, what to unbolt, STAT!

DO I NEED A SALZAW AND TORCH? ill take it to it.

*edit* qman thx for the quick response.. im gettin pics of interior.. its blue.. i have the subaru brat and subaru GL tailgate trim but northguy has dibbs on it. And the Taillights are no good.

Why don't you just take the whole thing?

Motor is a piece of cake. two bolts for motor mounts. 4 bolts to tranny. 4 bolts to exhaust. Unplug two main harness plugs. Disconnect the coil connection. Unhook the radiator hoses and pull the radiator. Disconnect fuel lines and vacuum from carbon canister and vaccuum line on passenger side of car. Pull motor out with a couple of people or a cherry picker. This should take no more then a couple of hours. Less if you are feeling energenic.

If you want the trans too, you will just need to remove the crossmember now. The trans will come out after removing the driveline, speedo cable and electrical connection.

well im inside after 2 hours...

engines been out for an hour..

(did it in ONE hour! with "save the subie" motivation)

we ( 2 non-mechanically inclined people and me) were sittin there tryin to monkey with the tranny in the dark and got tired of it.. i will be out there first thing to save what else i can.

Thanks Qman, your instructions were pretty accurate, there wre a few things you didnt mention, but i took care of it. Qman, if you need any BRAT parts... NOW is the Time to say somethin.. i got your back man (as long as i got the part you need) '85 BRAT remember.

btw, my brother has SEEN your old red hatch in washington cruisin along side EZap...

He says "your car kicked rump roast"

Just figured you might like that.