Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 DL Sedan Rear Lift alternatives

Mac

I'm on the road a lot with my '85 DL Sdn these days and carry equipment with me. With a full tank of fuel and me in it, the tire on the driver's side rear keeps bottoming out, hitting the wheel wheel when I'm on rough roads or taking sharp highway exit turns. I changed the strut and it helped some but not enough. The spring isn't broken but it may have lost tension over the years.

I was going to put some coil spring lifters in there but there isn't enough room for the kind you ratchet in. Are there other alternatives available that will work in that tight space?

TIA for any assistance on this.

'88 Honda Accord hatch back FRONT springs, if U ask @ the front desk of the W.Y. they can tell U what all years/mods had that same spring.

Or U can get the rear struts&springs from an EA82 4WD, they have 3 hight adjustments on them, and on the top seting I would think that they should do the job.

So ... if I'm reading this correctly, the front springs from a Honda Accord Hatchback can be exchanged for the rear springs on the DL?

The solution of using the struts and springs from an EA82 4WD sounds like an expensive solution to the problem.

I was explaining my problem to a friend and he said that he remembers a kind of air bag insert being sold that fit around the strut, did not get in the way of the spring, that could be aired up. Anyone ever heard of such a thing. (Not to be confused with Hijacker type shocks.)

you could build something like the RX's ANUS lift, as we did to fit 16's under there

you can make strut extensions that slip on out of sqare tububg and a drill,http://usmb.net/gallery/albun92/AnusLift

and if yo get high enough you can drop the diff hanger mount down so the axles are even with the hubs.

this application was 3 inches, it wanted to bind the driveshaft, so we made a drop shackle for the diff itself.

but the diff shackle would not have been necessary withthe diff hanger lift, and the diff hanger wouldnt have to be more than an inch lifted if that, we probably could have gotten away without the diff hanger lift(this design was carried over from PART of a 3 inch lift for a sedan)http://usmb.net/gallery/albun92/Oct11_44

I don't see any way that an air bag COULD fit, there is like -0- gap between the spring and shock. As for the springs, U got it right. As to the 4WD struts/spring, they souldn't be to spendy @ the yard. Round here they are $20 for a compleat set for the rear.

No Soobs at the yards around here. :(

Thanks Miles, but I think that solution -- while being pretty cool -- is just a slight bit more involved than I'm seeking. :) I just want to prevent the tire from hitting and rubbing the wheel well is all.

You only want the spring.. You have to use the old strut and you take the spring out of the hold one and put the Honda Spring on the soob strut... I believe thats what someone said in a post not to long ago...

Double check with one of the other memebers just to be sure

and I'd only pay 10 or 20 bucks for thes spring

Originally posted by Mac

[ use both the strut and spring??? ...

• 3 weeks later...

Only one local junkyard here has a Honda Accord and the bonehead wants to hit me for $40 for EACH spring and strut, and won't sell spring separate from strut.

I checked at Advanced Auto Parts and can get a pair of Accord springs NEW for $40. But there are different numbers for the springs for that year depending on whether the Accord had a manual or automatic transmission. The maker of both is the same ... TRW. May be the same spring with different SKU numbers, and different prices.

I just lifted my ea81 wagon (6 inches) with a bad torsion bar, all i did was jacked car up with both top bolts out untill i had the height i wanted, then drilled the tower there...... of course i had to take out rear plastic as to not drill through it..... and put good size washers and 1/2 inch grade eight bolts, i have or can have a pic if you want!

there are some pics in this thread

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8768

you only need the springs. worked great on my car. not sure about a 2wd. I think it is the same.

I got a set for 40 bucks.

I did it for the same reason you stated. lack of load carring ability.

but yeah it also lifted the rear a bit. it still rides well, a little stiffer but not too harsh.

now with a car load of people and gear it still rides well:brow:

Originally posted by soobme

Or U can get the rear struts&springs from an EA82 4WD, they have 3 hight adjustments on them, and on the top seting I would think that they should do the job.

what year were the ones you talking about from. i thougth i remembered seeing one. i would assume 85 or 86