Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 gl turbo

I was given a 89 gl turbo with a bad turbo. What are the cheapest means to fix the turbo or replace it? Can I use the turbo of a later model subaru, or will that require extensive modifications. I have too many projects and not enough money or time.

You can get a rebuild kit from turbo city for about a buck twenty-five. You won't have a way to balance it, but it will still work.

Need a bucket of carb cleaner and some ridiculously small snap-ring pliers. And some torx bits (small ones) to take apart/reassemble it. Kit comes with directions. How worn out? Compressor wheel hitting housing? Might need a compressor also. Price unknown. Eric

not sure how worn out. I know the seals are gone, 170 k, driven by an old man (original owner), babied seriously. White smoke smelling both of oil and cooling coming off the turbo and out the exhaust. no strange noises from the turbo. I'll have to open it up and look for contact inside the turbo.

I just bought a rebuilt center section from turbo city. I wouldn't mess with trying to rebuild one myself. It's not worth spending $125 on parts if you have no way to balance the assembly. Yes it will work if you don't, but not for long.

The center section is quite a bit more expensive than the rebuild kit but you don't have to have any special tools or knowledge to bolt the old housings onto the new center section, and you get a warranty.

I went through three junk yard turbos in a matter of a few months, before deciding to shell out the bucks for a new center section. For $27.50 at the local Pull n Save, I could have gone through many more junk turbos before spending as much as I did at turbo city. I want to drive it, not work on it anymore. Too much down time...