Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Axle: junkyard or aftermarket rebuild?

I need to replace the right front CV axle due to a torn boot. The OEM Subaru rebuild is $188; I'd trying to go "on the cheap." I've read many bad posts about parts store rebuilds--too short, wrong splines, etc. Would a used one,with good boots, be an acceptable alternative? The car only sees about100 mi./wk., and Id rather save for the 120K timing belt! TIA for your help.

Yes if you can a good used salvage yard one that would be a reasonable choice (if you cna tell it too is not some parts store rebuild..). I too have seen a number of bad posts about the parts store rebuilds, including but not limited to some weird vibration when stopped in drive aftewards. Another option would be mweaxles not sure how they compare to Subaru rebuild prices but those should be good axles.

Yes if you can a good used salvage yard one that would be a reasonable choice (if you cna tell it too is not some parts store rebuild..). I too have seen a number of bad posts about the parts store rebuilds, including but not limited to some weird vibration when stopped in drive aftewards. Another option would be mweaxles not sure how they compare to Subaru rebuild prices but those should be good axles.
That weird vibration is transmission and drivetrain stress - not bad axles.

Oh ok cool. Wasn't sure the cause of the vibration, just many a post indicating it happening after half shaft replacement, also on other boards too.
I just wanted to clear that up - I've seen a lot of people complain about axles causing vibration at stop. My car had the same vibration at stop in Drive when the original axles were on it (with good joints). The AWD system and drivetrain when stopped is still getting force from the engine (it's like trying to hold a car back while giving it gas - something has to vibrate).

Yes I've heard great things about mweaxles remanufactured Subaru axles (and ccrengines :) ) This may be a good option for the OP, who wants to avoid aftermarket units but not pay the price for a Subaru rebuild. Wow I just checked the prices on the site and those are not much more than the parts store rebuilds anyway.

If you know someone that has a shop you can get remans from advance for $40. If you are getting a used one try to get one from a 00 and up car. The boots have more convolutions and hold up better. You just have to knock the tone ring off the end before you install it.

I was just looking in the endwrench magazine and it says Subaru reman axles are done by Cardone.
this doesn't necessarily mean the Subaru reman's and any Cardone aftermarkets are identical. Subaru makes some attempt at keeping a certain level of quality...tolerances, parts used in the rebuild, etc. Cardone is on it's own though to supply the aftermarket world and those parts aren't required to meet those same standards. there's a good chance, but i'm also not one to put anything past a company. if they can save a buck, they may.

wonder if there's a conclusive way to find out?

True, they probably are different specs. The ad for says "Remanufacturerd for Subaru by Cardone" Actually here's the whole article: Subaru Reman CV Drive Axles http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/07FebRemanEW.pdf

"designed to meet Subaru OE specs - no other axle in the aftermarket meets that requiremment"

"boots specifically formulated to meet sringent Subaru specs for ozone/haet resistance and high spped oscillating and impact durabililty"

"All axles are supplied 100% with a new axle nut, dust shields and roll pin"

"All outer joints hae 100% resurfaced ball tracks to ensure long-term durability"

• 3 weeks later...
I need an axle on my OBW I'll be giving the MWE axle a shot. I like to support our community and if Em is giving them thumbs up they've got to be good!!! Let you know when i get them, Tim

I have to take this back. I gave him a call and after shipping and all it was way more expensive then a new GCK from AZ so I went with them. If it was a case were I could just go pick up an axle I'd be far more inclined to go that route. Tim