Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What tires do you run for rallyX

86ruguy

I was lookin at the silverstones and am not quite sure if I should invest the money in a set for RallyX or not. I'm going to try to get back into it next season and want to prepare.

I saw Qman running some last season and was wondering if any one else ran them, or what they run.

I also like to take the little wagon out to Fort Lewis on the tank trails every now and then. SOOOOOO????

snow tires. if youre not already in a modified class, they wont bump you like rally tires will.

Read the SCCA rallycross rules. Rally tires will only bump you into Prepared, not modified. Also, depending on the tread gap your snows may do the same.

Read the SCCA rallycross rules. Rally tires will only bump you into Prepared, not modified. Also, depending on the tread gap your snows may do the same.

I still don't like that rule. I say that any DOT street tire, including snow tires, should be allowed in stock class. You can run any street legal DOT tire in a stock autocross class, so why should rallycross be any different.

Unless you are running a modified car already, I would stay away from rally tires. The biggest difference in a rally tire is the construction. Rally tires generally have 6-8 ply tread and 4 ply sidewalls. A regular steet tire is only generally 4 ply tread and 2 ply sidewalls. This makes a rally tire weigh about twice that of a street tire, so unless you have made modifications to increase you power output or lower the final drive ratio, the extra rotational weight of the rally tires will actually slow you down. At the same time , the extra sidewall plys provides significant sidewall protection when sliding the car around a corner. If you are having a lot of issues with sidewall punctures due to the surfaces you are running on, then you may want to consider it from the cost savings point.

(Note, if you are having issues with tires coming off the rim then you need to learn to drive :grin: I've seen lots of people that come flying into corners way too fast and generate tons of puch through a corner, and then wonder why their tires keep poping off the rim.... Slow down and learn to drive)

Rally on!