Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT still the garage queen...

I did more work than I anticipated replacing the valve cover gaskets and the water pump O-ring on my EA82 XT. Doing the left valve cover made me realize there are 15,000 wires on an XT that I have absolutely no idea what purpose they serve :brolleye: and every last one got in the way. I also had lots of fun moving the A/C compressor off to the side to gain access to the water pump to replace the O-ring from the radiator pipe. I can honestly confirm that the 80's Scoobs are much more difficult to work on than my Legacy... It's okay though. I have wanted an XT since the first day I saw one, I am still in love with the car...

...Even though my Hill-Holder valve is still leaking!!! :banghead: My friend and I bled the brakes tonight, since that was the only thing that had to be done to make it roadworthy again. But after bleeding them 3 times and still having a mushy pedal, I rechecked the HH valve to find fluid everywhere. It wasn't where I sealed it up either...

So I'm just going to bite the bullet and start saving up to buy a new one from the dealer. I know, I sound like a moron, but I'm kinda trying to restore the car, and I am not going to half-rump roast anything. Buying one from a junkyard gives me no peace of mind, since that part could have the same problems.

It's a good thing the Legacy is running pretty peachy right now, but hey it's been my one and only daily for almost 3 years before I got the XT, so I'm not concerned...

Anyway, I am still without a working wedge unfortunately... I hope to have it driveable again, because I am starting to miss driving it :(

My parts car only has 80k on it.

I just took the one off the RX and although the bracket has some surface rust, the HH looks good so the parts car one could be for sale.

If the one on the wagon looks in really good shape I'll sell it to you if you like. Let you know tonight. I'll get pictures.

Regards,

Jay

Looks like something was seeping onto it from above. If your interested, I'll take it off and give it the closer eyeball.

Make me a good offer, funds go to RX rebuild.

hill_holder_001.sized.jpg

that looks in really good condition.

as for the leaking HH, I gotta sk. Is it leaking from a threaded hose port? if so then maybe, its not seating smothly?

Maybe its threaded - what is that compression fitting called? The hollow nut that the pipe is in? Maybe there is stuff in the threads of it?

imho the leak has ment to me that the pipe isn't in tight enough.

Now, I'm not talking reefing down on it like a tank is pulling at it, but just a little more "umpfff". okay?

sides that, brake fluid is an amazing cleaner of the break parts and it may surprise you if you tryed cleaning its surfaces with the liquid and a brush to see how good of shape the HH actually is in.

of course this means actually having it in a place you can scrub on it and then whipe it off and - if possible use a air hose to blow dry it too.

just a thought .

Where the bracket that holds the cable and spring attaches, just beneath that you can see the little cap... I took that off, and filled underneath it with RTV sealant, and then put the cap back on and sealed around it too. From what I could tell, that's where it was leaking. But now fluid continues to drip from it, and although my sealant is not wet with fluid, it looks like it's coming from that area...

Oh forget it, the valve is trash :madder: I got one from a guy over on the XT boards, but his is even worse than mine unfortunately, at least I only paid shipping :-)

Jay, yours looks to be in better condition than either of the ones I have. Have you driven the car? Brakes are good? I might be interested if the price is right...

You say the word and I'll take it off.

Didn't drive the car much, but IIRC, the hill holder worked well.

The car has 80K on it. it was in better shape than the RX with the exception of a little parking pole rash on the front L fender.

Regards,

Jay