Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 ej22T into 1984 vanagon taking place!

Woot... Got my motor ordered my RJES bellhousing from britan this vanaroo/subagon is gonna be one sleeper haha. PICT0054.jpg

starting with a fully rebuilt motor.

PICT0049.jpg

PICT0053.jpg

can't wait to hit the road with it.

Looks like i'm going to be running a wrx lightweight flywheel, vw stage 2 clutch disk subaru wrx pressure plate, RJES bellhousing which is setting me back about 1300$ ouch! Wiring modifications to plug into the vw harness $750.00 crossmember is gonna be about 500.00. Then the coolant line kit is going to be another 250.00. Painful but its going to be one sweet sleeper van.:burnout: :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...
Sweet! Thats going to be fun to drive around. Get some truck tires for it (load range C tires) so you dont scare yourself to death taking corners.

Vanagon.com has a nice tire section.

I'm mainly a bus guy so I'll take the liberty of chiming in. you're absolutely right that stiff tires make a huge difference in van handling.

LT tires will work, Load range C is "6 ply rating" OK if greater than 1500 lb load rating. less than that is generally not safe

best tires for a stock bus or vanagon are 195 or 185R14C (no middle number, C here is suffix commercial/reinforced sidewall) all of these are rated at 1800-2000 lb rating (97+), Load Range D.

there are only a few manufacturers of 185R14C, Michelins are super expensive, Wynstar Phaser is a chinese michelin good value, Hankook RA08 is what I have run in the past, currently using the Continental VancoWinter from TireRack, they also have a few other Continental Vanco tires. Yokohama makes the Y356 but it is not M+S rated. Vredestein makes a summer (non M+S) and a winter tire as well super stiff at about $100 ea. Probably best bet if you can find the Hankooks locally, it's a good tire.

That is one Sweet Vanigon!!! It's even the same colour as my 84!

Please keep us posted on your progress!

So....Doe's your 84 have a Tach? Do you (or anybody) know if a later

model Tach/cluster will retro into the 84? I am already sick of the clock

that doesn't keep time.....

Thanks much for the pics, and good luck!

Chris

Ya it has a tach that doesn't work and a speedo that also doesn't work. I am kind of wondering how the engine is going to run because there will be no subaru speed sensor hooked up? I have been busy with a new job and waiting for the bellhousing to show up from germany.

Thanks for the Tach info/ideas:)

I met a guy in Boise that had a kickin Vanagon with an EJ25,

He said a VW Mechanic in the Valley "Dougs Bugs" did his conversion, and

set it up with a speed sensor. I'll try to investigate.

Also found a VW web site that has a huge Vanagon section

"TheSamba.com" Lots of conversion information. This web site (IMHO)

is right up there with USMB

Cheers,

Chris

Smallcar sells a hall speed sensor or KEP's instructions show you how to make one with the device that is inline with the speedo cable under the pedals next to your spare tire. My ej22 swap would die at idle without speed sensor but alot of people have no problems with a lack of speed sensor. Id want one on a turbo swap though, lean/rich gamble without it IMO.