Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 speed slop shifter questions? with pics

I have read all the posts on how to fix the play in the shifter but i have a couple other questions...I have added a couple pics in the photos section under the name shifter...When i took the shifter out of the pivot on the transmission there was a little rubber? washer/spacer on the bottom of the pivot that was all torn and stuff, the other thing was this white plastic that goes down into the trans...the question is would is there anything that goes between the metal and that plastic piece and if not could that plastic worn the metal on the shifter end. With the plastic piece is in the trains and the shifter is put down through it there is a lot of play between the two...Has anyone got a fix for this? thanks (see pics in the photos section under the title shifter or shifter pivot)

Best fix is to install a 5 speed. The biggest drawback by far IMO is the shift linkage setup on the 4. The bushings aren't the least of it either. The rod/tube interface is worse.

Other than that, go to the dealer and have them order all the bushings - there's one that goes into the tranny, and the white plastic (nylon) bushing snaps onto the bottom of the shifter - there's a metal nubbins that it clips to. They are a few bucks each.

GD

On the bottom of the shifter there is a small green bush that takes up the slack between plastic white piece, in the tranny, and the shifter. On my (and probably yours) it was complete decintergrated. the bush slips over that small piece at the bottom, below all that wear. You are lucky cause it looks like you caught it in time and not worn off the piece that holds the bush on. Goto a subaru dealer and they should be able to sort you out for a few dollars. This should fix most of the slop but the shift fork, where the shifter bolts to, also come loose where it bolts to the shift rod sticking out of the tranny. This is somewhat harder to fix but the green bush will make a varst improvment.

I would love to put a five speed in it but i have look/called everywere and no one has any 4 or 5 speeds...It also seems like it would be more complicated than just putting the 5 speed in, you have to modify things or send stuff to some one that can do it right? I just got this brat and drove it 200 miles in total, it been on jack stands for days... I just ordered some new transmisson mounts and some other small things, im gonna put it all back together this first of next week... I was wondering if theres any way i can fix the shifter pivot with out getting the parts from the subaru dealer? The shifter really just sits there and moves very little? Is there anything that goes between the plastic peice and the shifter pivot? why is the shifter pivot worn like it is? did the plastic wear the metal? check the pics of it in the photos section under shifter....thanks for any and all comments....-GwyNative

I would love to put a five speed in it but i have look/called everywere and no one has any 4 or 5 speeds...It also seems like it would be more complicated than just putting the 5 speed in, you have to modify things or send stuff to some one that can do it right?

Not really as hard as you might think. Basically you have to lower the transmission mounts for the tranny to clear the tunnel, and adapt the EA82 mounts to the EA81 cross-member. The rest is a bolt-in operation. You need the tranny, mounts, linkage, and an EA82 clutch disc. If you call a few yards out here on the west coast you can get a tranny and have it shipped no problem. We have more than we can use.

I was wondering if theres any way i can fix the shifter pivot with out getting the parts from the subaru dealer?

Probably, but it would be jinky and ghetto. Any dealer can lookup the parts and have them for you in 2 to 3 days no problem. And the parts are dirt cheap for what you need. Probably $25 or less for all of em.

I don't even need to look at the pics - I know exactly what those parts turn into. That and I don't like to dwell on 4 speed's too much. Gives me heartburn thinking about them. If Subaru had made an EA81 Hatch body (or Brat with the Hatch wheelbase) with the 5 speed D/R, and a Weber DGV carb from the factory a lot of folks would be very, very happy.

GD

Im gonna call the subaru guys when they open, about the 5 speed, i did a search on yellow pages.com and got the numbers of all the listed junk yards/ salvage yard/ auto recyclers and called them all and none of them had anything...most i talked to eather didnt get it or didnt care that the trans i wanted didnt come in a brat... Is there a write up on putting a five speed into a brat in step by step easy to follow instructions, maybe with pics? Just built a 360 plymouth duster 3 speed and looking back it seem much easyer to work on than this... -GwyNative

Everything sounds harder on these cars then they actually are....I held off doing a rear disk swap on my Loyale ..because it sounded complicated....well a couple weeks ago a board member gave me no choice but to try it...3 hours later..I had fully funtional rear disk brakes ( on a car that before had NO brakes) ..And here is the kicker for you since you are a noob... I am a girl and do ALL the work on both my subarus by myself..with just the help of this board.

Good Luck it really isnt that bad honest

Im gonna call the subaru guys when they open, about the 5 speed, i did a search on yellow pages.com and got the numbers of all the listed junk yards/ salvage yard/ auto recyclers and called them all and none of them had anything...most i talked to eather didnt get it or didnt care that the trans i wanted didnt come in a brat... Is there a write up on putting a five speed into a brat in step by step easy to follow instructions, maybe with pics? Just built a 360 plymouth duster 3 speed and looking back it seem much easyer to work on than this... -GwyNative

Just ask for an 85 to 89 GL Wagon 5 speed 4WD transmission. Don't tell them what you *really* want it for cause they won't understand and don't need to know anyway. The 5 speed you want was *most often* found in wagons - the coupe 5 speed usually has a higher low range, and the sedans were rarely 4WD at all. Ask them for the clutch if they have it, and be specific that you want a GL transmission - the DL's were single range without the low gear.

There should be a write up on it in the online repair manual - at the top of the page click the "USRM" link.

As Bucky92 says - Subaru's are very, very easy to work on when you get used to their layout. Far easier than any other front wheel drive design because the engine isn't transverse. I find myself cursing and swearing anytime I have to work on a non-subaru. And I came from being a mechanic in the Army.

GD

GD you sure seem to know your stuff...as for as a 5 speed, i will be looking for one and will change it over in the future but for right now i will have to work with what i have....Do you know if any subaru brat came factor with under coating? Mine has a thick almost tar like undercoating that saved everything underneath it...

GD you sure seem to know your stuff...as for as a 5 speed, i will be looking for one and will change it over in the future but for right now i will have to work with what i have....Do you know if any subaru brat came factor with under coating? Mine has a thick almost tar like undercoating that saved everything underneath it...

No - that was left to the dealer/owner. Undercoating is ultra rare here on the left coast, and usually didn't help on the right. Glad your's is doing it's job.

GD