Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front axle diferances(EA81-vs-EA82)

I know that they are not the same length, but can U put an EA82 axle in an EA81 as a very temporary fix? Will it fit? Are the joints the same? I have an EA82 outer joint with no shaft or any thing that I gess I could use to push the car around with if I have to. It would just be ALOT eazyer if I could drive it the 100ft. or so that I need it to go.

actually, as I remember it, the axles are the same spindle count and match up, but the EA82 axles are longer because of the body shape and location of all of the drivetrain stuff is different.

FWD transmissions are the same, and can be swapped between EA81 and EA82 designated cars... but the axles are longer or shorter, depending on which you're going to.

Sorry, forgot about all of that.

That's OK man, I just found that long part out 1st hand:-p , she don't FIT. I don't care how hard far out U pull the spindel/ strut rump roast. it an't gona fit:eek:

I gess I will just put my stub in there so I can put the wheel back on and push it around;)

there is a mod you can do to put ea82 control arms on the ea81, thus allowing use of the ea82 axle. go ask the trashwagon. mod invented by rguyver

i wish i had that diagram.....................i know its floating around somewhrer, someone HAS to have it

Originally posted by StormTrooper

slap it into 4WD and drive it as a rear wheel drive for a bit. Wont hurt it as long as you dont do it for a long time.

i drove some at least 2000 miles, 100 mile stretches, and pizza delivery with a broken axle and in 4wd.

didnt hurt anything.