Ultimate Subaru Message Board

shifter slop repair question?????

I'm trying to get the sleeve that holds the shifter off the shift selection shaft on the tranny.I've got the cotter pin out but I can't figure out which direction the pin gets driven out from, up top or down below. Where's my BFH when I need it!? It's a 4 speed dr in an 81 Brat. Any suggestions? Frank :mad:(fshnidiot):mad:

I just removed this pin. The trans was out, and I tapped the pin in and out from the top. It should work either way. Do you need any of the linkage bushings? I may be able to send you some.

I lost some blood but I managed to get it out. Did the sloppy shifter mod and put it back in in the dark, but it shifts soooo much better. Thanks for the offer on the bushings but I've already ordered the 1 piece on the end of the shifter shaft that had completely disintegrated to dust.I can grab reverse without using 2 hands to do it so I'm doin the banana dance!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: Thanks, Frank (fshnidiot):headbang:

Go to the Ultimate Subaru repair manual and click on transmissions and axles. Bottom of the first page post by Subeman90 and a write up by Hassey. Exact procedure I used 5 years ago, mine had so much slop in it I expected it to come out in my hand any day.

From the looks of mine, its the cylinder that goes over the rod in the transmission (the piece that the pin holds on). The holes look oval shaped now.

Gonna get a bolt and nut and fix it.

It's all pretty simple once you get that darn pin out. I agree on the hole on the outer sleeve being the culprit, mine was oval shaped as well. The improvement was worth every drop of blood and bruised knuckle though. Frank (fshnidiot):headbang:

the "wear point" in the shifter apparatus in my Z happens to be the little rubber bushings that go into the hole in the bottom end of the shifter lever itself.. little things that look like a top hat with a hole instead of a "top..." The reason I mention it is, my dad mentioned (when I had to replace mine) that "they used to" replace the rubber bushings with a copper part, to eliminate the wear. is there any possibility of such an upgaade in this situation?